2D and sound done - 56K BEWARE - BIG SCREENSHOTS

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

2D and sound done - 56K BEWARE - BIG SCREENSHOTS

Post by DeathByBlast »

I've been working on some textures and sound changes that I would like to get into the game release, I have sent Tim an email, but have got no response.

There are several reasons for my work in this area.

1. I'm damn good at it, even if I do say so myself and that's not the case. :wink:
2. The files look and sound better, unless ofcourse your blind or deaf.
3. The files are for the most part smaller in size, therefor increasing performance in a few areas, though the above is probably the most important part.

Let me know when you are ready to take a look at it and where you want it sent to.

I am not quite finished yet, though I am getting very close.

Thanks
Last edited by DeathByBlast on Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Please zip them up and post them on the SourceForge patches tracker (here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=303248 ). If for some reason SF won't accept them as an upload, stick them on a web server somewhere and include a link. If you can't do that, send them to me (hit the "email" button at the bottom of this post) and I'll stick them on a web server and put a link on the tracker item.

For sounds, make sure they're in the proper wav format. I believe they need to be 16-bit sampling at 22.50 kHz; the wav loader is very particular about it. Patches are welcome to make the loader automatically resample :).

Also please confirm that everything you submit is your original creation.
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathByBlast »

DTRemenak wrote:Please zip them up and post them on the SourceForge patches tracker (here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=303248 ). If for some reason SF won't accept them as an upload, stick them on a web server somewhere and include a link. If you can't do that, send them to me (hit the "email" button at the bottom of this post) and I'll stick them on a web server and put a link on the tracker item.

For sounds, make sure they're in the proper wav format. I believe they need to be 16-bit sampling at 22.50 kHz; the wav loader is very particular about it. Patches are welcome to make the loader automatically resample :).

Also please confirm that everything you submit is your original creation.
Thanks, Yeah I figured out the sound bit the hard way, it refuses to load anything less than 22.50kHz, errors stating it could not find the required file for the sound. ;)

What I found to be quite strange is boxwall.png, if you index it then you will get a small space showing between the colums, so far it's the only texture to exibit this behavoir.
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathByBlast »

Yeah, I never have got an email from sourceforge, so I guess that's out.

I'll get them up soon with some screenshots.
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathByBlast »

OK, so here they are:

Screenshots first:

Get the package here for now.

Changelog:

The following files where changed or optimized:

blade.png
blend_flash.png
boom.wav
boxwall.png
bubble.png
bzflag-256x256.png
caution.png
explode1.png
explode2.png
fire.wav
flag_alert.wav
flag.png
frog.png
jumpjets.png
jump.wav
land.wav
laser.wav
menu_arrow.png
mesh.png
moon.png
puddle.png
pyrwall.png
radar.png
raindrop.png
shock.wav
snowflake.png
std_ground.png
teleport.wav
tetrawall.png
title.png
wall.png
water.png
zone_ground.png

Resulting in perhaps some improvement in performance, enhancement in audio and video experience and a considerable directory size reduction.

Yes, there is a reason that brick was chosen, because it is one of the few textures on this planet that doesn't start to change it's pattern as distance increases.

All changes where either created by myself or understood to be either GPLed or in the public domain and freely available for use.
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathByBlast »

Fixed error with URL above, which had a / after the file name.
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class

windows

Post by Matt? »

do you have these tectures for windows they look awsome
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: windows

Post by DeathByBlast »

Matt? wrote:do you have these tectures for windows they look awsome
Thanks. They are not OS specific:

"To extract .tar and .tar.gz files on Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP use PowerArchiver 6.1 (freeware) or 7-zip (freeware) or Winzip (commercial). "

http://www.gzip.org/

Hope that helps.