watchlist

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

watchlist

Post by Sir_Pants »

what a possible watchlist for cheaters, spammers, hackers, so like in group permission an admin would have the ability to add a name or ip to a list of suspects using /watchlist "name/ip" that way it would be possible to tract them somehow on the server, maybe it could record if they tk, etc. just a though
MONKEYPANTS.COM
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

i think that's a good idea .

many tk'ers and cheaters will stop once an admin warns them ...and play "nice" . but when the admin isn't looking , paying attention , or leaves for alil bit , they go on a tk rampage again and leave before u can get their IP# . so maybe the /watchlist can temporarily store and record IP#'s just in case .

yes?
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Maybe having the autokick for tking record the /kick and IP to the report file would be a nice idea too.
Sir_Pants
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir_Pants »

yea both of those sound like a really good idea
MONKEYPANTS.COM
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: watchlist

Post by DeathByBlast »

Sir_Pants wrote:what a possible watchlist for cheaters, spammers, hackers, so like in group permission an admin would have the ability to add a name or ip to a list of suspects using /watchlist "name/ip" that way it would be possible to tract them somehow on the server, maybe it could record if they tk, etc. just a though
While we are on the subject, it would be a good ideal I think to code some basic anti-cheat system for the game in the form of a pure mode (something that will atleast check the textures being used and remove players using textures that are not the same as the server. It may not seem like much but as it is right now it is just too easy to wallhack and that's about all I can say publicly and I sincerely hope that wasn't too much.
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DeathByBlast »

Also, I obviously can't speak for every TKer, but ME NEWB. ;)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

A little harsh

Post by RPG »

DeathByBlast wrote:While we are on the subject, it would be a good ideal I think to code some basic anti-cheat system for the game in the form of a pure mode (something that will atleast check the textures being used and remove players using textures that are not the same as the server. It may not seem like much but as it is right now it is just too easy to wallhack and that's about all I can say publicly and I sincerely hope that wasn't too much.
The game sortof already does this in the form of making all default wall and roof textures opaque. Even if you tell the game to use a transparent PNG, it will make it opaque so you can't see through the boxes.

Removing players without the same textures as the server would also be unfair; as it takes away your ability to customize the game. Texture packs are perfectly legal and are not considered cheating.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

any cheat code would have to go on the server. The server dosn't know about client side graphics. AT ALL.

If you made the client tell the server what textures it was using, it would be simple for a hacked client to fake that info.

So in the end it would not buy you anything.
ImageJeffM
DeathByBlast
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: A little harsh

Post by DeathByBlast »

RPG wrote:
DeathByBlast wrote:While we are on the subject, it would be a good ideal I think to code some basic anti-cheat system for the game in the form of a pure mode (something that will atleast check the textures being used and remove players using textures that are not the same as the server. It may not seem like much but as it is right now it is just too easy to wallhack and that's about all I can say publicly and I sincerely hope that wasn't too much.
The game sortof already does this in the form of making all default wall and roof textures opaque. Even if you tell the game to use a transparent PNG, it will make it opaque so you can't see through the boxes.

Removing players without the same textures as the server would also be unfair; as it takes away your ability to customize the game. Texture packs are perfectly legal and are not considered cheating.
OIC, I obviously haven't tried it, but I am glad to know that it will not allow that. I guess though the next question would be how hard would it be to change that portion of the code and allow that and at that point what will prohibit it?

As far as "fairness and legal", at some point that becomes up to the server admin, there is nothing wrong with having a pure mode I.M.H.O., if you want to play with different textures then you would be free to chose a server not running in said mode, otherwise you would be removed.

That's the whole problem with cheating, there are too many variables and sadly there are not alot of options for reducing variables that do not also reduce freedom.

Though another ideal may be the ability to capture a screenshot from the suspected players machine, though this has proven to be somewhat unrealiable and ofcourse blockable.

None of these ideals are new though and all of them have been done in one game or another.