'on flag capture activate world weapon' thoughts...

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

'on flag capture activate world weapon' thoughts...

Post by AAA »

one of the points in the TODO (the first one here) is to have a SW go off on the teams base that had their flag captured.

This is ok, but what about not showing the flag on base until after a player has appeared? This yould not prevent another team from ambushing the base, but I have never seen this happen anyway. Mabye only show it after floor(0.4*playersonteam+1) number of players have appeared. Thoughts, please.
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

That would solve one of the problems associated with camping: sitting on someone's base and then running off with their flag before anyone respawns on a flag capture. What it wouldnt solve is base campers just looking for kills with SW, SR, GM, or on a server with alot of shots.

One of the controversial issues with SW at base on flag cap stems from what people think of camping: is it a fundamental part of the game, or is it a "rough edge" that is finally getting smoothed out?

Post by Guest »

It can depend... On the server, the players, the map...
Is it not better to be safe than sorry by stopping it to please those who hate it and would otherwise leave the server?
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

Really, I think running off with the flag is not fair (reguardless of the fact I still do it), and that camping with a SW, ect is part of the stratagy. I do not like stoping this with more active rules like a world weapon, but more passive like delaying the flag's appearence.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

i personally have no problems with the world weapons on viper.pimpi and hepcat overlord. but on brad2901's server, brad.afraid.org, theres a sw every time someone is killed, which eliminates the point of sr and makes it hard to survive for long...but its funny...
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Trucker Tricker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Rough edge or strategy question...

Post by Trucker Tricker »

I suppose that in fact it does depend... largely on server owners.

I have been playing on some CTF servers where players on a team tell others on their team to clear the enemy base before capturing the flag. That is, they want their team voluntarily not to camp and pick off the enemy as they spawn.

Another thing along these lines is where admins kick folks who rejoin for the purpose of resetting scores. The question is: does rejoining to reset your own score have any impact on other players (assuming not rejoining to avoid a kill)? Some server owners don't like it, others don't mind it. It is server owner/admin preference.

Still, whatever the preference of the server owner (on whatever the issue may be), I hope that he/she/they communicate(s) that to the appointed admins.

So, for SW after the team's flag is captured... I suppose that would be something easy to implement. Perhaps, it could be disabled by default and enabled at the server owner's option. It would have to be a good one to be effective though ;) What's to stop someone from shooting from a distance as the other team spawns?
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

I have had a problem with every single server you said you don't have problems with, including both hepcat maps and viper.pimpi.
Not only that, but if I am killed at the same time the flag is captured, and I sprawn at the same time the world weapon goes off, I die at the base after I spwawn. (which explains my obsession for passively changing rules to solve problems)
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Phalanx wrote:i personally have no problems with the world weapons on viper.pimpi and hepcat overlord. but on brad2901's server, brad.afraid.org, theres a sw every time someone is killed, which eliminates the point of sr and makes it hard to survive for long...but its funny...
yea it's funny, and i think i found out what this is for, tell me if i'm wrong,
when someone dies a SW goes off in the exact area the person who died died, mabye that it like the explotion of the tank?
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

ha
---
I wonder what the server patch for this would be? it cant be too hard to make...
(could someone tell me the file/line number? im too lazy to look for it myself)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you can't really "hide" a flag. flags are generaly allways on the field, specialy team flags. This would be more then a server change, you'd have to change flag handaling.

you could make a plugin that would "Zap" the flag when ever you wanted, even based on events.
ImageJeffM
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

JeffM2501 wrote:(...) flags are generaly allways on the field, specialy team flags (...)
you could make a plugin that would "Zap" the flag when ever you wanted, even based on events.

You are right, but I was thinking of merging my idea into the fact that the flag dissapears when you capture it and there are no players on that team.

Or you could make the flag deadly to those who pick it up before a team member has sprawned. But that wouldn't solve the problem as much, I think.

Anyway, I think that having a SW go off at base goes more against BZFlag tradition than withhold the appearence of a flag.