Loneliness

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Loneliness

Post by The Purple Panzer » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:25 pm

Sometimes it seems to me that the maps with active players aren't what I want to play on, so I'll go to a good map with nobody on it and wait for players. This can take a while.

Awhile ago I suggested 'saucers' (like in the original Battlezone) that
give you points when you hit them; the idea was dismissed at the time, as I'd intended it to be part of regular gameplay, and it seemed that it would just add yet another (not particularly compelling) element.

However, what would be a lot of fun would be to have saucers around when you're alone on a map waiting for others to join. You could shoot them to practice your marksmanship, and maybe additional points would be awarded if you banked the shots off of walls (perhaps an additional point per ricochet).

This could be your score, which would then reset to 0 when another player joined - so it'd be a kind of pseudo-score, only meaningful when you were alone.

Why not just use bots? Well, I personally don't think they're particularly good for practice, as humans play a lot better; saucers would simply be targets, for target practice, and by not shooting back they would let you try out unusual shot geometries. Also, and perhaps it's just because I'm not up on bots, I don't see how to use them and then have them automatically go away when real people join, at least without stopping my client. I'd like a lightweight practice mode when I'm alone on a map, one that is immediately welcoming to anyone else who joins to play.

BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:31 pm

I would think that the mapper who made the map would be incontrols of that.

The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Well, they should move

Post by The Purple Panzer » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:38 pm

I don't mean static objects, I mean saucers that move about, so that you have to lead them appropriately. I suppose some could sit still. But they have little to do with the map, the server could create them and destroy them on any map that is running with only one player.

optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Teppic

Post by optic delusion » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:52 am

It's not saucers, but...
Goto the server, teppic.homelinux.net.-Sir_Pants InterHouse Warfare Map
Teppic runs a server patch/plugin that allows players to call up or remove as many bots as they like. Though I believe the map is too large to be appropriate for this. Also, the green bots stay on their base until shot at.
The instructions are in the welcome. Just call up half a dozen bots, and a couple rookies show up right away, giving you more hapless idiots to punish.
I've heard it's great for dial-ups, as the server-side bots don't increase a player's lag.

Find the secret areas in Sir_Pants' map. There's one near the pool, and one you need wings for over the refrigerator, and I hear he's added two more since....
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.