Stop the Insta-Death!

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Scribo
Private
Private

Stop the Insta-Death!

Post by Scribo »

I hate dying right at the spawn. How about:

No shot fired before you spwn can kill you.

Those who kill spawners immediately still can, but the lucky/random deaths would go away.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

its a part of the game...o well, it will happen to us all at one time or another.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

^Yep, it's a part of the game...a part that should be fixed. ;)
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

imo it's a part of the game that should stay as it is. bad things that -you think- you don't deserve happen in real life, so why not in bzflag?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

It's a part of the game. Like getting the No Jumping flag in the middle of 8 enemies.
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

Maps can be configured to have no bad flags.

Surely then if both instant deaths and bad flags are considered part of the game then it would stand to reason to have instant deaths configurable as well.
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

hate dying right at the spawn. How about:

No shot fired before you spwn can kill you.

Those who kill spawners immediately still can, but the lucky/random deaths would go away.
It's part of the game but if you dont like it join a server with less players, like dub has 8 rather then silverfox that has 26.
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
mistake
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mistake »

dartman wrote:^Yep, it's a part of the game...a part that should be fixed. ;)
you can always fix your client. oops, sorry :D

dunno, its like saying make server that servers my skills. you can always delay your spawning, or encourage team play where somebody helps out keeping the base clear or run around in roaming mode
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

I can't believe so many are opposed to this. BZFlag deaths are exceptionally irritating - if it were up to me, the spawning algorithms would be improved, no shot fired before you spawn would harm you, and there would be an option to turn off the death-jump (really, between the death jump and the flag capture laugh, I sometimes want to pound my monitor). In fact, I may just add that last one to my client.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

^Death-Jump?
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

The typically five second long jump that occurs upon death and accompanies the shattered screen that may obscure parts of the console.

Sometimes it's just *not* a good idea to add insult to injury. Like when my burning software craps out on me, and in addition to ruining a blank disk, it concludes by playing the "sucker" sound effect ("Waa-waa-waa-waaaaaahhh"). Such things are not particularly fun to endure.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

that, my friends, is a variable. /set _explodeTime 1 will fix that easy. or set it to your preference.

[/code]
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Explode time is for a server owner to decide how long a player should be forced to wait before spawning. It should be up to the client what sort of graphical effect, if any, is displayed upon death and during the wait period - just as the client can turn off mirror and rain effects, and control a myriad of other visual features in the latest versions.

It's not as if giving users this control is somehow an unfair advantage.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Workaphobia wrote:I can't believe so many are opposed to this. BZFlag deaths are exceptionally irritating - if it were up to me, the spawning algorithms would be improved, no shot fired before you spawn would harm you, and there would be an option to turn off the death-jump (really, between the death jump and the flag capture laugh, I sometimes want to pound my monitor). In fact, I may just add that last one to my client.
Ahh... The wonders of open-source! It IS up to you! You just have to modify the source and send it to some developer who has CVS commit access.
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Well I think that's what I'll end up doing. If I finish, should I post it as a patch in the sourceforge section or send the alterred files directly to a dev?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

if the changes work, even with OLD unmodified clients ( like good old 2.0.0 ) and is an option then you can ask a dev to review it and commit it.

if the patch only works with moded clients, or is not an option, then submit it as a patch and we will evaluate it for 2.2.

anything that goes into 2.0.x has to be feature compatable with 2.0.0.
ImageJeffM
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Re: Stop the Insta-Death!

Post by Chestal »

[quote="Scribo"]I hate dying right at the spawn. How about: No shot fired before you spwn can kill you.[/quote

I agree that this would eliminate most randon on-spawn kills, although not all of them. This idea has been pondered in the past already and I personally I am in favor of it. One problem might be that it could be confusing for other tanks when you spawn in the path of a shot and this shot then goes right through you.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Stop the Insta-Death!

Post by A Meteorite »

Chestal wrote:
Scribo wrote:I hate dying right at the spawn. How about: No shot fired before you spwn can kill you.
I agree that this would eliminate most randon on-spawn kills, although not all of them. This idea has been pondered in the past already and I personally I am in favor of it. One problem might be that it could be confusing for other tanks when you spawn in the path of a shot and this shot then goes right through you.
Could you make it where the bullet explodes "on the tank." Almost as if there was no rico and the tank was a wall or box.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Mucho Maas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mucho Maas »

maybe a solution could be, that right when you get the "press i" message, that you are already on the position from where you will spawn. so you can time your spawning moment depending if the opportunity looks favourable.

But highly probabel this will be missused by players, especially in a match situation.

The other solution, having a tank before you spawn that doesn't get killed by a shot you fired sounds for me like a lot more agrevation then the problem it tries to solve.

Now if this really is a big problem, then maybe it is more due to playing style on that server. Most kills on a spray-shot server seem kind of accidental anyway. On a 2-3 shot server spawn kills are much more unlikely.
Also, a ctf server is to accumulate captures, not individual points which is the only thing the accidental spawn kill has an effect on (points). On the otherhand, on a FFA server it could probably make sense.

For spawn kills at base spawns after captures, they already introduced world weapons which should do the trick, specially if you put the base a bit higher were it can't be shot at from ground; when it is a jumping server.
Trucker Tricker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Trucker Tricker »

I am not particularly fond of insta-death killings myself. Likewise, I am not fond of spawning with an enemy tank behind me or an enemy tank spawning behind me - especially when I have something like L or GM.

Since I do not code... would it be very difficult to include in an algorithm to assist with not spawning in the line of fire of a bullet where impact is probable within a specific perimeter given your tank location, location and direction of the fired shot, speed of the shot, and the effective range of the shot?

That may work well with bullets, but I don't imagine it would be effective against the ricochet of a laser fired just as or just after you spawn ... or spawning near a player with SW, GM, etc.