list server cache for client

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
michaelh20
Private First Class
Private First Class

list server cache for client

Post by michaelh20 »

This preserves a list over 30 days of all the servers that were found using the "find" menu. There's an option in options which allows you to add the cache items from a certain time period to the lists that the list servers returns. In addition, the most important thing is that if any errors occur getting the list, the entire 30 days of cache is dumped into the listing. Hence, whenever the list server goes down, you still have 30 days of server listings to choose from -- providing you've played it that long.

A simple way of demonstrating this is to open up the client, do a find, close the client down. Now rename the list server name in bzflag.bzc or whatever it is to nonsense. Now restart the client. You should see the same list, more or less even when the client fails to find the list server.

Windows exe
Last edited by michaelh20 on Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

linux version maybe?

Post by Defman »

I haven't checked what would be needed for a linux system, but is there something which could be doen for linux clients as well?

Tanks
michaelh20
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by michaelh20 »

The patch is on sourceforge, I just don't have a compiler/setup on hand for other platforms. It's built into the client, not just some stand alone windows thing
michaelh20
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by michaelh20 »

updated and improved....

There was some inefficient sorting going on that I improved and in the process I got rid of the hang / pause that happens when the server list is being dragged in.