letting admin see ALL team chat

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

letting admin see ALL team chat

Post by Winny »

I think this would be a good, idea, becuase some really bad bashing can go on on these channels.

any thoughts?
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Good idea in spirit. Bad idea in action.

True, somoene might just use such channels to violate the very sanctity of a server, to smear the good name of the server owner, and one might anger the gods with secular conversations on the sacred team channel.

But, you also got to take into account OTHER things that are said on these precious channels. Stuff like "Watch out, Vader has Geno!"
and "I got the flag! Cover me so I can make a cap!" is also said on these channels, and sometimes, an admin might be on the opposing team.

And as an admin and server owner myself, true, we are supposed to be impartial as far as the rules, enforcement, and dealing with people on a case by case, one by one basis....

...I also like to play the game. I like to kill people, I even do the occasional bit of camping, as well as capping team flags. I try to have fun playing the game, too, and I even like to do the occasional bit of trash takling. ("In your FACE! Boo ya!)

For me to listen in on the enemies coordination within themelves would not be a good thing. For the enemy.

So you might have to weigh which is more important - allowing the elbow room to have a team channel to coordinate the game with, or be so paranoid that someone MIGHT say a four lettered word where you can't see it that you disallow a very useful tool for teamwork and gameplay.

That, to me, rates on par with being upset that someone might fart and you won't be there to smell it.

And don't hate me for it, just calling it like I see it.

Much love.
...This has been a recording.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Vader said it.

The whole point of the team channel is for teammates to communicate to each other strategical stuff. Allowing a member of the other team to 'hear' those private chats is borderline sacrilege.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

I don't see why there would be bashing on there unless a guy acciddently tk'd. In my experience, a guy who would bash a guy out for tk'in usually presses "n" instead of "m".

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

It could be setup to only work for admins in the observer channel though.
Mostly Harmless!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mostly Harmless! »

Can you set the logs up to record all team chat?

I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones.
It is not the fall that kills you. It's the sudden stop at the end.
Always remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Teppic wrote:It could be setup to only work for admins in the observer channel though.
Ditto. I was just going to say that after IDO's post until I saw yours. :lol-old:

This would be VERY useful, but if it is only if you are joined as observer. Now we just need to see private messages... :twisted: (I was thinking a special perm would go along with both of these powerful tools)
Mostly Harmless! wrote:Can you set the logs up to record all team chat?
Yes.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Teppic wrote:It could be setup to only work for admins in the observer channel though.
I thought of that, but then it is still possible for one admin to be obs, then be relaying the talk to another admin. albeit unlikely and impractitcal, but possible.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Hannibal wrote:
I thought of that, but then it is still possible for one admin to be obs, then be relaying the talk to another admin. albeit unlikely and impractitcal, but possible.
Just as a server owner can sit there and relay messages from the server log........
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

Teppic wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Just as a server owner can sit there and relay messages from the server log........
Or a red "spy" for the blue team be relaying info to blue - not very practical tho. I think admin/cop-observer should have the option to hear other channels. When I typed that I remembered the ChatHistory plugin - this ability exists already. :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you can make a plugin that would do that very easaly.

the server has all chat, it could resend to the admin channel.
ImageJeffM
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

cool.

I think this would mainly help in FFA's , like badgerkings, becuase some pretty stupid ppl say some pretty stupid things on team channels, I just had to ban 3 of them yesterday alone for it (swearing, sexual stuff etc... )