(Semi)Persistent Scores

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

(Semi)Persistent Scores

Post by wiz » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:58 am

How many times have you been playing with a great score, only to get hosed by your lag-prone ISP and then be forced to START OVER at 0? Okay, maybe it doesn't happen to me that much :roll: ...

My solution - semipersistent scores. If you re-connect to a server within a defined period of time (5-10 minutes ought to be enough), then you would have the OPTION of keeping your old score.

The logistics might be a bit of a change, but I think they would be doable. My thoughts on how to do it.

- Each client could maintain their last score in their config file.
- The server would likewise have to maintain player scores for a while past disconnection.
- A key of some sort (generated by the server) would be maintained by both the server and the client throughout a player session. This key would help prevent ME from reconnecting as someone like Spaceman Spiff if he gets lag booted and assuming his score.

Heck - the key idea could perhaps even be used to help prevent cheating with a little expansion on the concept. But that's another topic...

wiz

p.s., the
  • function doesn't seem to work very well

Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

the list= function...

Post by Fiberchunks » Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:24 am

do it like this:

Code: Select all

[list=1]
[*]item 1
[*]item 2
[*]item n
[/list]
Then it'll work -- confused me for a while too -- check the faq if I wasn't clear enough, it's explained there pretty good too (BBcode).

Peace

wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wiz » Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:51 am

Doh! I figured someone was gonna tell me I was stoopid for not reading the manual...
  1. Thanks for helping me to overcome my deficiencies :)
  2. Much appreciated
  3. Regards
  4. wiz

Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

lol....

Post by Fiberchunks » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:10 am

Hate to sound trite, but you shoulda RTFM! :lol: j/k

Peace

Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish » Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:55 pm

Cool idea, but I could take or leave it. My real concern is ratios, and I'm so happy BZFlag already keeps a semi-semi-persistent ratio according to screen name (even if re-logging).

Ratios determines which players might be newbies (easy kills), and which might be more fun to battle (veterans not so easy to kill). It also helps me determine which players choose to hide in ST and exclusively hunt me. When I see that happening, I follow suit and hunt them. I've never met a player where that ratio didn't start reversing numbers once I found out what's happening. :twisted:
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}