Autopilot & Permission to do so

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Autopilot & Permission to do so

Post by I_Died_Once »

OK, this was discussed and shot down in IRC, but the problem still persists.

The deal is this - on a given server, we have some people who are allowed to run an autopilot bot. But we don't want anyone else to run a bot that we don't approve. It would be AWESOME if a perm could be tied into switching to autopilot. That way, we could register our bot names, add them to a group, give the group the AUTOPILOT perm, and no one else would be able to go auto on the server.

It was suggested that it be done via a plugin, but as far as I know, there is nothing in the API that would allow this to happen as the API doesn't referance "Roger" the autopilot. That and I'm no coder.

...and people are still running unauthorized bots on servers. Of course we could not allow bots at all, but we still wanna run ours when we decide to.

Giving Autopilot a perm seems like the best way to go about it, Hollar.
...This has been a recording.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Another way I had thought of doing this, would be to allow bots to be run from localhost only. However, this wouldn't be good if you're running the server remotely and can't run a client on the same box. Thus, it would be cool to have a perm like:
-allowBots 123.234.134.243 111.222.123.234 10.20.30.40
and this would allow clients with the IPs specified to run -solo bots and use autopilot/roger.

Though, I_Died_Once's method works fine too, and enables players/ to be added on the fly. My method would require a server restart to allow a new IP.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Autopilot & Permission to do so

Post by temporal distraction »

I_Died_Once wrote:...and people are still running unauthorized bots on servers. Of course we could not allow bots at all, but we still wanna run ours when we decide to.
I like to use the _disableBots variable - change it to 0 when starting an authorized roger-bot then change it to 1 to disallow other bots.

Of course the players could use poll to change that variable - but they'll most likely change the SW to 500 (or some other idiotic thing) before allowing bots.