Who says bugs have to be bad?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Who says bugs have to be bad?

Post by The Vaxorcist »

In the newer clients, the shockwave effects don't like my video card. The result is that I lag up really badly if someone shoots off a shockwave. This is extremely useful for me. These are a few of its benefits:

A: if I fire a shockwave, I don't have to worry about people shooting back

B: No one can hit me with a shockwave.

No one seems to have noticed yet, but I do get kicked for lag eventually.
Sad, huh?

Gotta get around to applying that patch that fixes it.
Where's Darwin when you need him?

Lagger@Everywhere
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Vaxorcists: The same thing happens here also. If a SW goes off within the range of my HUD, it practically kills the graphic card. Dropping down to 1-2 fps, freezing things for the duration of the SW. As long as a SW isn't fired within the range of my HUD, it works just fine. But this only happens on 1 computer

But yes I have the same symptoms you do. SW people pass right over me.

I"m running Windows 2000 2.0ghz CPU, Geforce 2 MX/MX 400 32MB. 1024 X 768 75hz. Driver Version: 6.14.0010.7730 5/12/05. I get my Drivers from www.nvidia.com
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Do you have your Quality set to Experimental in Display Settings? If you do you might try bumping it down to High. The Experimental settings have what people like to sometimes refer to as the "plastic bubble" SW. That may be what it dropping your frame rate. If that works then you at least know "why" the frame rate drops and then it would seem to be a graphics card or driver issue. Since I am taking from your post, TRB, that you have already explored the driver angle, I would probably be inclined to think it is a hardware rendering issue :(. Just a guess...
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I'd say that '32MB' could be half the problem. :|

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
The Vaxorcist
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vaxorcist »

donny_baker wrote:Do you have your Quality set to Experimental in Display Settings? If you do you might try bumping it down to High. The Experimental settings have what people like to sometimes refer to as the "plastic bubble" SW. That may be what it dropping your frame rate. If that works then you at least know "why" the frame rate drops and then it would seem to be a graphics card or driver issue. Since I am taking from your post, TRB, that you have already explored the driver angle, I would probably be inclined to think it is a hardware rendering issue :(. Just a guess...
You're almost right. The "plastic bubble" (specular lighting) effect isn't the problem, it's the fact that the colors are inverted inside the shockwave. (Look closely, and you'll notice).

Anyway, I'll attach a patch that fixes this, if anyone is interested. (Not tested with 2.0.8, I'm too lazy)
I'd say that '32MB' could be half the problem.
I have something like that too. I don't like being reminded about it.
Attachments
no-shockwave-invert.patch.gz
(415 Bytes) Downloaded 80 times
Where's Darwin when you need him?

Lagger@Everywhere
Goodbye2U
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Goodbye2U »

I used to have a similar problem.
My computer would routinly drop to 1-9 FPS for about a minute,
go back to normal, then drop again, all the while through the low FPS I gained laser invulnerability :P

I no longer have this problem, it seems to have fixed itself. weird :?
I'm thinking I need a better sig than this...
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The Vaxorcist wrote:The "plastic bubble" (specular lighting) effect isn't the problem, it's the fact that the colors are inverted inside the shockwave. (Look closely, and you'll notice).
Wow, I hadn't noticed, but that doesn't surprise me. My wife always tells me I'm not very observant. :p