Shot guide

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Shot guide

Post by Skeeve »

Inspired by this post I've implemented a simple patch that just draws a straight line on the radar from your tank. Seeing that others see this as cheating, I want to discuss how this could be best implemented (by me). How do you like these ideas.
  1. as an option so you can switch it on or off on the option page (easy)
  2. as switchable by a defineable key (bit mor complicated for me)
  3. as switchable by holding down a key (almost impossible for me)
I'd vote for the last option because if you need the line, you will have to press a key all the time, making it a bit more difficult to use.
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
rowrbazzle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rowrbazzle »

I think it would be fine just to make this a GUI option. After all, don't most radar displays in the real world have all kinds of guiding gridlines? You still couldn't predict the insane laser rico, just the first bounce or so. To me this seems like just an extension of the "inner mouse box" onto the radar.

I don't think there would be a need for a key to toggle it, either it's a feature a player likes, or they don't like/need it.
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Well... this is considered as cheating by most of the popular servers, if not all.
Ricos are one of the crucial gameplay-sections you have to master, only with a lot of experience you can aim precisely over one or two walls. Dont simplify everything, Ricos are hard and that is good.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Saturos wrote:Well... this is considered as cheating by most of the popular servers, if not all.
Ricos are one of the crucial gameplay-sections you have to master, only with a lot of experience you can aim precisely over one or two walls. Dont simplify everything, Ricos are hard and that is good.
Agreed
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

Saturos wrote:Well... this is considered as cheating by most of the popular servers, if not all.
Did you not understand what I wrote or do I missunderstand you? Sorry then, my english might look good, as some people say, but sometimes I don't get every meaning.

To clarify...

The shot guide I implemented as a patch is nothing more than one straight line from the middle of the radar to the center of the radar's top line. No rico is considered. Even no obstacles are considered.

Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Okay. So you arent actually drawing a rico-path but only a line that shows where you are aiming right now. Okay.

But nevertheless I think that aiming and the radar are fine as they are, for beginners it might be a little difficult to get their shots straight but you get a feeling for it.

In addition one rule seems to be that everything you see on the screen is visible on radar and everything you see on radar is visible on the screen (except ST and CL). This includes map-objects, lasers, shockwaves, shots, tanks, the map-border, ... your line would break that rule. No idea if that is bad or good, just noticed it. :)

And I have to excuse for my English, yours is fine. ;)
loophole
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by loophole »

As described this sounds pretty harmless because you could always just draw a line on your monitor with a felt pen to get the same effect. Part of the line is already there anyway.

I don't think the way you turn it on really matters.
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

There is a tick mark at the top of the radar. If you use the 4|5 key to change radar size you can use this as a shot guide. And its already there. Can't be cheating that way I wouldn't think. It's not hard to do, Sorta like your idea about having to hold a key to show your shot guide I guess; more keys to press. I use this method on some maps and it works fine for long distance shots directly to the other tank. Not good for rico, at least for me.
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

My Shot guide patch is uploaded.