Teleporter suggestion

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
badgerking
Private First Class
Private First Class

Teleporter suggestion

Post by badgerking »

How about a teleporter that takes you from one game to another?

That would make it possible to create multilevel maps and run them on different ports and let people move through large worlds but keep them drawable on the client, plus add a depth to the game that might be compelling.

Other server ops could even add a gateway into their system from other trusted servers, where the teleporting tank score resets but you can jump from place to place like stargate.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

L4m3r did something of this sort, with Babel, Overlord, and Pillbox all in one huge-mungo map. The 4th quadrant contained the bases and a teleporter to each of the 3 maps. Its been awhile, so you may want to check with him for details.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Yeah it's all well and good having an enourmous map... but who's gonna play on it? But to be able to teleport to another server is a different matter.

I think it would be brilliant, though there are some issues: what happens when a server is unconnectable, i.e too full or doesn't exist ; does a player keep his/her score, team, or flag - if so what happens if it is a no flag server, or your team is full?

The other thing is it might screw up map releases. You couldn't release a maap with an inter-server tele in it.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

It could be done as a collaboration between servers, or even the same physical server.

Ways and means:

Once there is the ability to switch teams (in this case observer to real team) on a server, on entering the map, it logs you on as observer on the 'other' servers, so the client can keep realtime info on wether or not you can switch to your team on entering that server. If you can't switch the the teleporter doesn't work, just like an unlinked one. If you can it switches you to observer on the current map, and switches you to your team on the new one, keeping scores and flags etc.

Seeing as I only write bash, python and a little perl, I'll let someone else do the actual coding work, so long as you credit me :wink:
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

how about the tele is actually non-existant when the team is full. That could have interesting concequences.... ;)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon