Page 2 of 2

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:44 am
by The Red Baron
jumpingpat:

They did add strafe movement to a branch of bzflag called, Bzflag Zero.


needless to say, Bzflag Zero is no long around... There is a reason why strafing is not around today.

as a rule of thumb: Learn to master the game, before going on a binge of "how to enhance" the game.

And, there is a "Look around" feature already, ITS CALLED A RADAR! the single most powerful utility in bz!

There is a reason BZ hasn't changed much. Alot of it is due to the fact that people shy from change. But also, because Bzflag is unique, and there is a huge strong fanbase of players, who want to keep bzflag unique, and seperate from mainstream games. I am one of those. A solid Bzflag Fan and player for over 8 years...

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:13 am
by JumpingPat
???

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:10 pm
by MacMan92
L4m3r wrote:Three reasons this is a bad idea:

1. Complexity. Adds another layer to the game, and the people in charge don't want that.

2. Control. How the hell are players supposed to be able to do this without a joystick? Mouse players in particular...

3. Lack of usefulness. This really doesn't give you anything you can't get from your radar, aside from the case of a stealth tank or a no-radar server.
1. OK, I can understand that.

2. When I don't use a joystick, I sometimes combine mouse and keyboard for games with look-around (e.g. A and D to look, and mouse to move, or WASD to move and mouse to look).

3. It would allow you to see around corners without poking out too much, and it would also let you see whether people have CL or not (without turning) so in a laser sniping server, e.g. Boxy War, you could know whether to drop your laser flag or not.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:14 pm
by MacMan92
ducktape wrote:well if the people who can do dont think its a good Idea (and the maker of the game says NO!) it doesnt look like its gonna happen.

YAY woohoo
If the devs say it's not gonna happen, then it probably isn't. There's not much point in arguing about it. It was just an idea, and I wanted to see if it would be possible or if anyone else thought it was a good idea. Now that I think about it, it would only give an advantage on a couple of servers, so I guess we can say that it won't happen and just be surprised if it somehow does.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:16 pm
by MacMan92
A Meteorite wrote:"Easy to play, difficult to master."
Isn't that the Othello slogan or something? I saw it on a box once I think...

EDIT: The Othello slogan is "A minute to learn, a lifetime to master."

Same concept though...

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:50 pm
by CannonBallGuy
Tech Support wrote:2. When I don't use a joystick, I sometimes combine mouse and keyboard for games with look-around (e.g. A and D to look, and mouse to move, or WASD to move and mouse to look).
Dude, I only have two hands, I can't control an infinite number of keys.
Tech Support wrote:3. It would allow you to see around corners without poking out too much, and it would also let you see whether people have CL or not (without turning) so in a laser sniping server, e.g. Boxy War, you could know whether to drop your laser flag or not.
Radar...

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:54 pm
by MacMan92
CannonBallGuy wrote:
Tech Support wrote:2. When I don't use a joystick, I sometimes combine mouse and keyboard for games with look-around (e.g. A and D to look, and mouse to move, or WASD to move and mouse to look).
Dude, I only have two hands, I can't control an infinite number of keys.
Tech Support wrote:3. It would allow you to see around corners without poking out too much, and it would also let you see whether people have CL or not (without turning) so in a laser sniping server, e.g. Boxy War, you could know whether to drop your laser flag or not.
Radar...
Radar can't tell you if the person has CL or not, becuase if they do, they'll show up on the radar and not out-the-window, and you can't shoot them with Laser. So instead of giving up your location and trying to use rico to get them, then finding out that they have CL and you can't shoot them, you could just look and find out without revealing yourself that much.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:09 pm
by chickin
Also i think a "Look down" feature would be nice so you could see where you are jumping.

Chickin.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:02 pm
by A Vicious Muffin
Lookdown? I don't think that i would use it that much, what if you look down when on the ground? :wink: I dont think it would be useful then :D .

Tech Support

Instead of making 3 posts in a row, 2 minutes apart from each other, edit your previous post.

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:02 pm
by L4m3r
Tech Support wrote:Radar can't tell you if the person has CL or not, becuase if they do, they'll show up on the radar and not out-the-window, and you can't shoot them with Laser. So instead of giving up your location and trying to use rico to get them, then finding out that they have CL and you can't shoot them, you could just look and find out without revealing yourself that much.
That's still a special case, though. So, it may help in a few situations... but generally it's still not any better than radar or (omg) just turning your tank.

If someone is coming up on you with CL, you're going to have to turn and shoot at them anyway. it doesn't matter much if you drop your flag before or after the turn, since it happens instantly...

Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:27 am
by The Red Baron
Tech Support wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:
Tech Support wrote:2. When I don't use a joystick, I sometimes combine mouse and keyboard for games with look-around (e.g. A and D to look, and mouse to move, or WASD to move and mouse to look).
Dude, I only have two hands, I can't control an infinite number of keys.
Tech Support wrote:3. It would allow you to see around corners without poking out too much, and it would also let you see whether people have CL or not (without turning) so in a laser sniping server, e.g. Boxy War, you could know whether to drop your laser flag or not.
Radar...
Radar can't tell you if the person has CL or not, becuase if they do, they'll show up on the radar and not out-the-window, and you can't shoot them with Laser. So instead of giving up your location and trying to use rico to get them, then finding out that they have CL and you can't shoot them, you could just look and find out without revealing yourself that much.
your argument is still flawed... why do you want a look around to tell if someone has CL?!? You cannot see them on the HUD anyway!! the radar already gives you a "Look around." Unless of course, you're paranoid of Stealthed tankers....

also, why dont' you use the "identify" key to discover what flag the person is carrying?

JumpingPat: the only problem is, we aren't discovering/discussing "new ideas" These are all old ideas, that have been mentioned before, and thrown out. Especially this one. Because you already have the radar, to give you the look around.