CTF : No team flag pickup option

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!

Is this a good idea?

Yes to teamflag nopickup option
29%
Yes to teamflag detination option
No votes
Yes to both
14%
No to both
57%

Total votes: 7

RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

CTF : No team flag pickup option

Post by RexFlex »

I was wondering if there could be an option to have CTF where you can't pick up your own team's flag.

I see two reasons why that may be useful. One is that in such a game, a tank that manages to get the other team's flag most of the way to their base before being killed will not go to waste because the other team can't return it. It would be a new flavour to the game.

The other is that it would be a real spoiler for those tanks that get their jollies out of delivering their own team's flag.

I also considered the possibility that the tream flag would instantly kill the tank picking it up (or maybe a time based detonation, allowing a partial carry of the flag?)
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Some devs were just talking about this a few days ago, in #bzflag. I think it has already been added to 2.1.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

There is a patch and it seems to be in CVS. As far as I can see it was written by a guy who uses bzflag to teach some computer science course.

[ 1553730 ] Add option to forbid picking up own flag

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=303248
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

i like not being able to pick up your own flag, but i would like to see it so that if the flag is not picked up at all for 1 minute, it is returned to the teams base. yes it may be hard work in order to get the flag out of the opponents base, but its also hard to kill the person who has the flag, and that means that all you have to do is get the flag in the open, and there is nothing you can do. you would have to have your entire team trying to rush out of the base to guard the flag, and every time it is picked up it is carried a few feet closer to the capture.

i dont like the detonation, its just mean :|
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

the_j0k3r wrote:i like not being able to pick up your own flag, but i would like to see it so that if the flag is not picked up at all for 1 minute, it is returned to the teams base.|
I'm not averse to that adaption. :)

Another thought that came to mind is that not being able to pick up the flag means that hiding it away from default base position to make it harder for the other team to see or get to it becomes impossible.

It's good to see that it is already being considered in some form for 2.1 in any case. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but having it as an option for any given arena doesn't mean it becomes the only way to do things.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

i dont like the detonation, its just mean
I'll say. That would stink too. What you could do would be to not do instant self-destruction, but on a timer. Like you said. But with a little message at the top. After about a minute or so.

Code: Select all

Do not steal your own flag![code]

That way, it just  doesn't kill the noob with your team's flag right in the middle of the battleground.