One second protected mode after spawning?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

One second protected mode after spawning?

Post by asciimonster »

In my Mario Bross time (yes I am old; dinosaur :) ), after you have been hit and respawned you would be invulnerable for a second or so. This was indicated by a blinking Mario. (I'm sure they nicked that idea from some other game... I don't care where it came from) This was intended to ease the transition from not present to very present. It's easier to programme, because you don't have to worry about respawning onto an enemy (which is a real bummer: "I still have three lives; no two!; no one!; oh I'm dead." :? )

But here's why I think it might be worth to add a second after respawning where you are invulnerable and are unable to shoot:
- You are placed in a random orientation. And adapted Murphies Law always makes that the wrong orientation. Before you had the chance to turn around you get nailed by an opponent. Now a one second delay won't fix that, but it'll give you a fighting chance. (Will provide less wear on the "i" key)
- But this works both ways: It eliminates the fact that a respawn near you messes up your strategy by killing you out of the blue. (Hence the not-shooting bit.) Personally, this really (BEEP!)-s me off.
- You discourage the easy hit points after capping or geno-ing. (Side note: This could be circumvented by random respawning, but this also has drawbacks.) It will not be completely eliminated, but doesn't killing armed, dangerous tanks feel better than killing sitting ducks? :wink:

I don't think this is really easy to implement. If you find it a good idea (I said IF) , it should be on the to do list.

So, Whatdjathink guys? (- You just too much parentheses! -I know! :D )
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Yeah, a one-second or so protection might be good, but it should definitely not be hard-coded. Let the server owners decide what they want about it.

I find it annoying on Silvercat when I spawn right in front of a teammate's bullet, which happens ENTIRELY too often. A lot of needless TK's could be prevented with this kind of thing.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Very good idea. It could be extremely useful on maps with a random spawnzone (not like boxy war) like mofo, silvercat, and hepcat. However, the tank that is invulnerable should be flashing, so that someone doesn't waste all their bullets on something they can't kill.
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

love the idea! get away from those oh-so annoying spawn campers. as a boxy wars person i would welcome that so much.

i agree that it should be a /set _spawnInvincibleTime or something like that, to set whether it happens at all or how long it hapens for.

Also maybe make it so that if you want, you can set it so that it only happens for the first spawn when you join the game, which would be useful for example on hepcat, where i often find people camping and killing people who spawn in the base.

p.s...love the new sig muffin ... "this muffin has fangs"..
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

The one thing I'd suggest with it though, is make it so you can't shoot during your invincible period. Because then you'd have a very brief but severe advantage.
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Aura-in effect

Post by asciimonster »

Yes it shoud be optional for servers.
TangenT wrote:(...) make it so you can't shoot during your invincible period.
I thought I had already suggested that? But anyway: Of course, not shooting during invulnerability goes without saying.
A Vicious Muffin wrote:However, the tank that is invulnerable should be flashing, so that someone doesn't waste all their bullets on something they can't kill.
Agreed. But it doesn't need to be flashing, it can also be something else. Such as the phantom zone effect.

One effect I would really like is aura-in. As long as the tank is invulnerable it has a yellowish, aura-like glow that slowly fades. (drooling :angel:)

P.S. Couldn't you also use the aura effect on tanks with a shield flag?
P.S. You could also make a flag that trips this invulnerable period (Somebody please stop me! :D )
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

yep, nice idea!!

i hate it when i spawn, and someone shoot me again and again.

thats a good idea for server wich are very busy.

:)
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

asciimonster wrote:You could also make a flag that trips this invulnerable period
Oh gross. That just ruined your idea. :wink:
the_jok3r wrote:p.s...love the new sig muffin ... "this muffin has fangs"..
Sig? I hate it. Icon? I love it. :D
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

At one time I could sware this game had this.......and my bz-senses are tingling telling me it was long ago when I first started playing the game.
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

I like this idea.
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.