better observer mode

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

better observer mode

Post by the_j0k3r »

ok, i find it rather annoying when im roaming in observer mode, and i cant see whats going on properly, because it is happening on a top level, and i want to see from my angle. what if we make it so that in observer mode when roaming you can fly? (if im stupid and you can already fly, i have another suggestion:)

it might add a bit more fun to observer mode if when roaming you can see other roaming tanks, and they look like they are phantom zoned.

what do you guys think? criticism welcomed.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Yes, you can fly in obs. But don't worry, it took me awhile to figure that out.

Controls:
Down/Up: Shift + inverted direction (up/down)
Forward/Back/: Up and Down arrows
Rotate: L/R arrows
Look Up/Down: Ctl + inverted direction (up/down)

F8 Changes the observer mode you are in(Roaming, Following, Driving with, Tracking)
F7 is to change which tank/object(flag-tracking) you are following/driving with/tracking.

Sure, it would be fun to see your fellow obs tanks, but is there really any point to it? Well, maybe if one is exploring a neat-o map, and someone wanted to point something out to you..sure. But good luck getting it in.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
iceomega999
Private First Class
Private First Class
Location: Extraterestrial outer universal deserted planetarium in Mississippi.

Post by iceomega999 »

thanks,hannibal!i was just browsing in the forums.and i wanted to know is obs could fly,so i looked at this one.
Itachi considers your existence futile.
Except mine :D
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

the j0k3r wrote:it might add a bit more fun to observer mode if when roaming you can see other roaming tanks, and they look like they are phantom zoned.
Sweet lol that would be fun! :D

lol i never knew you could do that. Now i know how ppl get those awesome birds eye veiws of maps :D

Im gonna try dis out! THX!
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: better observer mode

Post by meeba »

the_j0k3r wrote:2.
it might add a bit more fun to observer mode if when roaming you can see other roaming tanks, and they look like they are phantom zoned.

This seems like it would be hard to do. Observer would actually have to send x/y/z/r data around, just so that other obs could see. This means more lag for observers, the server, and thus, the players. As cool as it would be, it just wouldn't be worth the extra server effort required for it.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Saturos and I were thinking about this a while back. We thought it'd be fun if *observers* could see each other (I dunno, maybe ghostie white or something), and could fly around. That way people could say, "Come to this angle" or something along those lines. :) To show views and all.

But, I don't think it's a good idea to make it so that regular players can see observers. There will always be an abuser if you make it possible, so, you could count on the fact that observers would fly in your face in combat. Not being able to kill a ghost tank that ruins your play would be horrrrrrible.

(Now, as for flying, use shift + arrow keys to slide, and ctrl + up or down to tilt your angle. :P)
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

the_j0k3r wrote:1.
ok, i find it rather annoying when im roaming in observer mode, and i cant see whats going on properly, because it is happening on a top level, and i want to see from my angle. what if we make it so that in observer mode when roaming you can fly? (if im stupid and you can already fly, i have another suggestion:)

do you mean to be able to move freely without a player driving you?
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

No he means "roaming", not "driving with" or "following". He just wants to know whether you could fly while roaming to take a look at tanks above ground level.

Which was answered by Hannibal.
Hannible wrote:Yes, you can fly in obs. But don't worry, it took me awhile to figure that out.

Controls:
Down/Up: Shift + inverted direction (up/down)
Forward/Back/: Up and Down arrows
Rotate: L/R arrows
Look Up/Down: Ctl + inverted direction (up/down)

F8 Changes the observer mode you are in(Roaming, Following, Driving with, Tracking)
F7 is to change which tank/object(flag-tracking) you are following/driving with/tracking.
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

oh like when no ones there?
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

There are different modes, used at all times, and give different views of the battle.

Roaming is one of the features that many people don't know about, yet is a very good view. However, seeing observer tanks, even if only other observers can see you, would make the mode complex.
Ratatosk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ratatosk »

wait how do you switch?
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Hannibal wrote:F8 Changes the observer mode you are in(Roaming, Following, Driving with, Tracking)
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

And F6-F7 changes the person u are driving with.
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

I like the second idea joker. It would be cool if only obs could see other obs, and not players, because as DW mentioned, there might be that one player who abuses and blocks someones view. But, as TangenT said, it might cause more lag for the server, which none of us want.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

A Heart Attack wrote:I like the second idea joker. It would be cool if only obs could see other obs, and not players, because as DW mentioned, there might be that one player who abuses and blocks someones view. But, as TangenT said, it might cause more lag for the server, which none of us want.
I mean, I suppose that clients could connect to eachother if they wanted to see eachother, kinda like DCC over IRC. This would let obs positions be known to people who wanted it, and leave lag off the server for those who don't.
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by asciimonster »

the_j0k3r wrote:2.

Adding extra tanks could be confusing, but it's a good thing to see that you are being watched. How about a flying camera? (or a helicopter?)
tadd
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

useful when you want to show the other observer something

Post by tadd »

Another feature might be if the "drive with", "follow" or "tracking" modes would allow you to see what another observer is looking at. Many times while exploring a new map with another player, while both of us are observer, I or the other person would say something like "look at this over here" and we'd have almost no way to tell the other WHERE to look.
"Go check out the short brick building about 1/5th of the way north of the south edge of the map and 1/10th of the way east of the west edge"
verses
"Drive with me so you can see this"
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 800 character limit
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: useful when you want to show the other observer somethin

Post by the_j0k3r »

tadd wrote:Another feature might be if the "drive with", "follow" or "tracking" modes would allow you to see what another observer is looking at. Many times while exploring a new map with another player, while both of us are observer, I or the other person would say something like "look at this over here" and we'd have almost no way to tell the other WHERE to look.
"Go check out the short brick building about 1/5th of the way north of the south edge of the map and 1/10th of the way east of the west edge"
verses
"Drive with me so you can see this"
ha. so essentially here we are asking to 'observe the observers'. it is a good idea though, because it creates the same effect as seeing the obs tanks, because it allows you to show things through obs mode to other obs

i like the idea of being able to know if someone is driving with you - i thought perhaps something more subtle, like a srvmsg to you that says "X is now driving with you". obviously that may present an issue for people which feel the need to bug players by spamming them.