New server mode, Round based games.

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

New server mode, Round based games.

Post by Waistless »

Hello, I was thinking if BZFlag could add a new game mode for BZFlag with round based games, sorta like what a lot of other first person shooters consist of. This mode will hugely boost the tactics this game needs.

Instead of respawning the instant you die, there are rounds, and you respawn at the beginning of each round, players joining the server will start-up dead and just simply wait till' the end of the round to spawn.

The round ends when:

1.) Last man standing (Open-FFA)

2.) All the players on all but one team are eliminated(CTF and Classic FFA, last man standing if players left are rogues.)

3.) The flag is captured (2 team-CTF)

4.) Time limit (eg. 5 minutes)

5.) Rabbit dies, or heaven-forbid the hunters should :P .(in rabbit chase mode)

When a round ends, bonus points or team points are given based on the outcome:

On a 2-Team CTF; The more players on a team when the time limit is reached, opposing team is eliminated or flag is captured, the team wins 2 (or whatever amount you please) team points, like you get when you CTF. If an equal amount of players are standing when the time limit is reached, the round is declared a draw and each team recieves 1 point each.

In a last man standing match; bonus points are given if you are the last man standing, perhaps a formula for it could be based on how many players are present in one round (for example half the points for the amount of players in a round, 4 players = 2 bonus points). If the time limit is reached and more than one person is standing, no bonus points are given.

In a FFA with teams (and/or rogues); If a team are the last players standing, they are shared bonus points (again, a suggestion for a formula would be nice). If a rogue is the last standing, then last man standing bonus points are given. Again no bonus points if more than 1 team/rogue is still standing.

In 3-way or 4-way CTF matches(with or without rogues); then you are given bonus points and team points for capturing the flag. If you are the last team standing, then you are also given team points and bonus points.

And finally in rabbit chase mode, points are awarded for how long the rabbit is able to stay alive. (And most points win :) ) Also, the amount of rounds are based upon the amount of players, so every player has 1 chance of being a rabbit, and seeing how long they can survive for. And if the rabbit is *somehow* still alive at the end of the round, he will still be the rabbit next round (extra round allocated).

There could be a set limit of rounds, and when the limit has been reached, all points are reset to 0 and back to round 1.

This is just a general suggestion for round-based games. Feel free to post feedback :)
Last edited by Waistless on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Could this tank perhaps go a little bit faster, so it's not being overtaken by stationary objects.
"Words in parentheses can (not) be ignored." -Unknown
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

That is actually a very neat idea. It would be great if we could see such a thing.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New server mode, Round based games.

Post by too much loving »

Waistless wrote: Basically instead of respawning the instant you die, there are rounds, and you respawn at the beginning of each round. For instance, the round ends when:
I also like this idea, but I think that the time limit is necesary. Otherwise the last two survivors can effectively block the server by staying alive. Whatever you do a rule like this will lead to a lot of bickering, because all the talentless players that die first will spend the waiting time complaining about the cowardly players that have been hiding in the corners.

But what about new players that log in to the server? If you force new players to wait for the next massive respawn, but then theymay choose to join another server instead. But if new players are allowed to start playing at once then everybody will be logging out and rejoining to get new lives all the time. That will not work.

In xpilot every player had three lives per game. That worked well, because you could afford to be brave in the first two lives and still spend the third life defending the base. But when you logged in to a server you sometimes had to wait for everybody to die three times before you could play.
Waistless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Waistless »

There IS time limit (read :wink: ), and yes players that do join the server have to wait for the next round, but not too long because, as I suggested, rounds shouldn't take more than 5 minutes :) (unless it's what server wants :roll: )

Your *lives* suggestion seems alright, nice break from tradition I suppose :wink:
Could this tank perhaps go a little bit faster, so it's not being overtaken by stationary objects.
"Words in parentheses can (not) be ignored." -Unknown
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

I like it...Maybe we could have some last man standing tournaments! =0 =)
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

How about introducing an afterlife where the early losers can spend their time until the beginning of the next round? Perhaps the afterlife could be placed as a separate area of the same map as the "real game". The afterlife should not contain extra weapons and perhaps killing or dieing in the afterlife should not affect your score.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Well maybe you could have an "afterlife score"

Like who won in the real game and afterlife game?
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
biggeruniverse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by biggeruniverse »

Neat idea. To really make it work the way you are proposing will take a hefty change in server code, or else everyone simply stays dead and noisy until the next round.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

To really make it work the way you are proposing will take a hefty change in server code,
Not necessarily. This can be achieved with a server plugin :-

WinXP, A_Meteorite and Theme (i think) made a dodgeball style game, in which players are eliminated untill the last man standing. To solve the death issue the 'eliminated' players would spawn in an enclosed space around the edge of the map, and could shoot into the game (but not enter it), and if an eliminated player scores a hit, then they can rejoin the round

In my opinion, this is better way to do it, because there is always something to occupy you. If there was a long time to wait before each round restarted, people would get bored - Especially the newbie players, that couldn't shoot a tank if it danced naked in front of them.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
biggeruniverse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by biggeruniverse »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:Especially the newbie players, that couldn't shoot a tank if it danced naked in front of them.
Is the tank hawt? I mean, I wouldn't want to shoot it either...
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Spaz, have the dodgeball map hosted, by george!
I do remember another dodgeball map, players spawned on an elevated platform with a WW Laser blocking the platform, which would leave ever so often, allowing players to rejoin the game. I had a good amount of fun there one late night..
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Theme97
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Theme97 »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:WinXP, A_Meteorite and Theme (i think) made a dodgeball style game
Aye. I made the plug-in, Win XP made the map, and A Meteorite hosted it.
Hannibal wrote:Spaz, have the dodgeball map hosted, by george!
Eheh.
I think I have the map and the plug-in (somewhere in the 2 GB of crap I don't need), but getting it hosted might take a while. I'm pretty lazy!
But maybe I can start it up again. It went down because Meteorite wasn't making any changes to it when we told him to.

[Now if only Boxy was still alive so that the "Dodgeball Devs" could brag about having more players...]

Edit: Meteorite is going to re-host it!
Re-edit: Meteorite is hosting it! bzfx.net:6036