"Away" messages?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

"Away" messages?

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I'm not sure how useful this could be, but maybe we could make something where if someone tries to private message you, and you're paused in away in observer, you could type something that says: "I am away now." or: "Be right back."

This has happened to me quite a few times. I had to go to the bathroom, and murphy's law, I miss an important message to me.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

or how about you type "AFK" the rest of us :) :roll: .

One enhancement along these lines I have been meaning to ask about is what if we can add the idle times to observers too. Is this possible???? If not say so without any verbal attacks :roll: .
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Use the chat tab. Unless there is a whole TON of chat, you can probably get the chat message there.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

This is actually for enhancements, not what's already in the game, although someone might suggest something similar to what's already in the game, which is not waht's happenin here.He means that when someone msgs you, they will get the message "away form keyboard" or something like that. Yes the Chat tab would be a good idea, but in Ctf many people communicate with their team, unless your observer. which muffin is talking about
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

bzflaginator wrote:or how about you type "AFK" the rest of us :) :roll: .

One enhancement along these lines I have been meaning to ask about is what if we can add the idle times to observers too. Is this possible???? If not say so without any verbal attacks :roll: .
I'm not quite sure why you would want idle time for observers. They don't do anything except for talk (or send reports to the server). Would observers gain idle time for not talking? If the answer is yes, then observers would have to be constantly talking in order to avoid geting kicked on servers with idle kick plugins.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Davy Jones wrote:This is actually for enhancements, not what's already in the game, although someone might suggest something similar to what's already in the game, which is not waht's happenin here.He means that when someone msgs you, they will get the message "away form keyboard" or something like that. Yes the Chat tab would be a good idea, but in Ctf many people communicate with their team, unless your observer. which muffin is talking about
My point is that the idea is pointless.
1) if people can't read what you said when you send "brb", then maybe they just don't care?
2) If you're going to be away long enough that you need an away message, maybe you should just sign off

It's a game. It isn't a chat room.
Davy Jones wrote:Yes the Chat tab would be a good idea, but in Ctf many people communicate with their team, unless your observer.
Right...and team chat is also shown on the chat tab...
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Exactly my point, there would be a lot of msgs making it hard trying to find msgs to you
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Davy Jones wrote:Exactly my point, there would be a lot of msgs making it hard trying to find msgs to you
People have a memory. If someone writes "brb" or "afk", I think they'll remember that for the 2 minutes that the person is gone.

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

If a message DOES get up past the console, there's always pgup. You'll be idlekicked eventually anyway, so how much can you possibly miss?
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And when we get voice chat, we could implement voice mail into the clients! "Please leave a message after the <idlekick>"

Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

Anyway it will be useless if the person isn't using private chat.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

And this is why we have third party chat programs :)
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
Albino Blacksheep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Albino Blacksheep »

I could see that happening. It would be good so, murphys law, you dont miss anything directed at you. I think it would be a good addition to the game
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Yeah, let's encourage more idiots to leave their client idle while they go shopping....

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007