valentino.hepcat.org Pillbox CTF has returned

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

valentino.hepcat.org Pillbox CTF has returned

Post by cosmos »

Just a quick note and to reserve this for future edits. I have resurrected the original pillbox ctf server and been testing it out tonight.

Alot has changed in probably over 12 years since I have run a public bzflag server including half the config options!

You can find us on ##hepcat on freenode irc as well as the game server and I do idle in #bzflag.

Hoping to see some familiar faces one of these days.
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: valentino.hepcat.org Pillbox CTF has returned

Post by tainn »

Hello. As of right now, edits on these forums are made unavailable after 2 hours since the post was made.

You can also play the Pillbox map on any Leagues United server and even compete on it.
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

Yeah not really concerned about the leagues. I see ducati and others have merged over time.

Hepcat is about a shared community. It may be nostalgia but I am opening it up to anyone that has ever played with us and anyone new.

We started this journey in the 1990's in the SIlicon Graphics community. Our battlezone CD's fresh in hand and countless years of LAN party fun. In the early 2000's we joined the open source community and bzflag with a 1.x server running the pillbox map. So many great folks and friends over the years.

I have already seen a few show up on the server so i am hopeful and nostalgic to see more come.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Was good to see you back, cosmos. I started pb on your Hepcat server circa 2004. Good times then. Looking forward to repeating those times on Hepcat once again!
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Welcome back cosmos, it's been quite a while, but glad to see your return.

For future reference, if you may include a gist or make available an external resource, this way you'll be able to update a work within a post, while only needing to post the update of it.

While a lot has changed, a lot has remained the same as well.
(You'll recognize quite a few of the faces here, but there's quite a few new ones as well.)

I'm generally within the forums and on IRC and if you need anything, feel free to contact me as well.

Once again, glad to see you back.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

Zehra,

noted. will be working on a page and stuff over the holidays. I manage multiple engineering teams at work so time is limited.

Kierra, glad to see you back on the server. I am going to overhaul all the admins this weekend since many are long gone. Doing a complete reset.

Kierra will be the first new trusted admin. I will be redoing cops and admins over time and returning players will be given a priority.

Man I missed this community. Brings back memories.
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

Glad to see hepcat back Cosmos, it's been fun playing again :)
I am a leaf on the wind.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

they say you can't forget your first map. pillbox was mine. at times there were huge armies of green and red tanks fighting each other. neither the chaos nor the fun was forgettable. then came the fantastic overlord/babel rotation. two great maps, jumping, power flags, even more fun. i hope we can try and revive some of that mid 2000's glory now that the man in charge is back. welcome back again, hepcat & cosmos.
Because789
Private
Private

Post by Because789 »

Holy crud! i remember hearing about Cosmos' hiatus when I first joined this community before my own hiatus. Kierra's been taking good care of me as I step back into BZFlag. I got my start in this game as a LAN party with one of my childhood friends back when I was a kid, and joined the forums much later. I wonder if his dad worked at Silicon Graphics or knew someone who used to, now that I think about it. I know he was into computers and did that as a living.

Welcome back hepcat and Cosmos <3
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

I have been running Overlord over Christmas with some fun matches. Not enough traffic to switch to a rotation yet but i do still have all of the maps and configs etc.

Saw Green Manalishi on, Spud - An Anarchist, tox and a few others still around. Alot of memories.
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

By seeing your "joining date", I can note you are an old player returning: welcome back! But, please, change your (old?) avatar... Linux is great! :D (a bit joking: Linux fan here.)
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

its actually a sort of tongue in cheek joke. actually ran a server on freebsd called tuxsux years ago as you can see from the date :)

current server runs on linux