Experimental server features

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Experimental server features

Post by etigah »

I have been trying out a number of ideas over the years, mainly to feed my own curiosity with no intention to release the output.
some of the those features are showcased on my test server @ 45.32.180.51:5198

to mention some of them:
- server side shots (hit calc is done on server, but respects client perspective so nothing is changed from how players are used to)
- flags that imitate player movement, and can be shot (used as shooting targets)
- several new shot types: examples of which are spinshot, teleport and dart
- new map making methods: one based on voxels (using an editor such as magicavoxel) , and another that uses SVG to create the map layout

I didn't put effort to make any of that reusable, so extracting any part into a coherent plugin/tool might be a bit of a hassle. so I would like to know if there's any interest at all before I go for it.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Experimental server features

Post by Zehra »

I took a quick look and found it a novel and refreshing experience.

I could possibly see some things integrated into a map and/or mode, some input from other map makers would probably be best in the case of much interest. One minor suggestion is to perhaps add a description or message for the custom shot types so players might get a better idea of the shot mechanics.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

Zehra, thanks for your feedback, so glad you liked it.

Judging from the feedback I got, there's little point in cleaning up the code and releasing it. If anyone wants to browse the code, send me privately and I'll share it one way or another. But be aware that it won't compile on released bzflag without modifications.

I'm very interested to hear ideas though if you think something cool can be done with this
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Thanks @etigah, I think some really cool things can be done, I'm not sure how easily most players will adjust, especially since I've mostly thought along the lines of adding unique dynamics to game play.

In terms of the teleporter shots. Some form of a "race to the top" map comes to mind, especially if some vertical velocity is enabled and some type of "combat" based mostly on "distance" and "travel". Some form of mountain type of map similar to "Alpine Assault" by LouMan comes to mind, especially if regular shots are for "travel" and laser being the primary weapon and solely the mountain being mainly combat. Or something similar, but in a jumping skills like map where the playing field becomes "wider" the higher players go, in some form like a cone. Or something like Parilis 2, Plurimusbox - Coloratus & Viridis or The Dark Arena.

I'm not sure if my explanation is confusing, but the main idea is the usage of "teleport shots" for movement on tricky terrain, but have players switch to another "weapon" for sniping. (Laser and vertical velocity is what can probably add that dynamic or fast shots and rapid fire.)

With flags which imitate player(s), the concept is pretty decent, especially since they could perhaps be hidden behind a visual type of field, so it actually would give the impression of an actual player.(a.k.a. the tank isn't seen, but it's just right behind that brick.) They could act as a form of a tutorial mode... but there likely is a better way of doing it. I mostly see this being as something like a sentry type of gun or something which indicates that "something" is there, but at the same time, it offers a visual and distinct target. For some reason, I see them being used in 3 ways for now, a checkpoint type of "player" which can move on a map, a "helper/companion" type of bot, or some form of an enemy/target bot which tends to gather in either swarms with simple "attacks" or more complex ones. (Maybe a castle and they act like some form of "defenders" while players play as the "attacking" team.)

Not to derail or go off topic, but I can perhaps see some dynamics of one concept perhaps somewhat being useful.
Zehra wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:09 pm a different approach compare to how we currently play. Simply looking at the radar leaves one blind, simply looking outside the window leaves one oblivious to the ever changing game.

High speed shots and stealth flags on spawn help accomplish all of this and make it an interesting combo of strategy and tactics, as to know when to camp and when to roam is the key to all this, however luck does play a major role in all of this.

The battlefield contains a lot of buildings and a [wide] variety of structures [, if more complex map generation is used]. Slow tank speeds make travelling across this battlefield a difficult and dangerous task, however any time a tank is destroyed, the tank killer's position is revealed on radar [and perhaps on the battlefield by signal flares].

The stable structures and buildings provide excellent cover and ambush positions, so tanks may appear anywhere and use heights to rain down shots on unsuspecting parties, however carefully timed and aimed shots with an upwards jump may strike down down tanks camping among the heights.(Vertical velocity is enabled on this mode.)
One of the biggest kind of dynamic twists, is the usage of voxel maps. I believe ahs3 used some form of KoTH and voxel style of map and surprisingly it was decently playable to some extent, the main aspect was the size of the voxels. Voxels are a fun and novel idea, the tricky part is playing it well and perhaps this is only my opinion, but the smaller the voxels are, the slower tank speeds need to be. (And if the tank speeds are a bit slow, it seems sniper style of play is what will result and that generally requires some decent shot speed. (I think some form of maze would work well, especially with a small number of players, but otherwise it's how to make it "fun" with around 4 people.)

Dart has some unknown dynamics and I'm guessing it's based either on turn rate or jump/fall rate from what I've seen, so I can't be sure of how to rate it, but I'd assume it wouldn't be too intuitive.

I like the spinshot dynamics, I wonder if in a ducati type of map, but only taking effect with team flags, since it would add some twist to the normal dynamics.

(I might later take a closer look at some of the things I haven't covered too.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread