MissleWar in a 3rd Version!

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Grace F wrote:
TangenT wrote:Keep the new platforms.
Make the pyramids solid. (Not drive-through, not shoot-through)
Make the base entrances drive-through from BOTH sides (but just inside is fine), and make it not shoot-through from either side. No more laser camping from there.
I vote in favour of TangenTs idea! Although im not too sure about the doors being drive-through from both sides. We'll see what happens though.
Yeah, I can live with it either both sides or just from the inside on those doors.
jinx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jinx »

TangenT wrote:My vote:

Keep the new platforms.
Make the base entrances drive-through from BOTH sides (but just inside is fine), and make it not shoot-through from either side. No more laser camping from there.
Overall, I think these changes may be the best option to try first. As long as the laser shooters have to be in a place where they can be shot, instead of infinite protection like the doors offer now, it'll change the gameplay to something a bit more balanced - IMHO.
If you think I was mean, please tell me. I was actually going for NASTY!
jinx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: MissleWar in a 3rd Version!

Post by jinx »

1st Consul wrote:[snip]
Now we dont need to do /flagreset anymore :P
Interestingly enough, now there seems to be a "flagresetbot" that's doing a flag reset every 10 minutes - which is annoying.

First off, it lags me a bit when so many flags are put onto the map all at once. Second, if a team has positioned their team flag somewhere safe, the reset puts it back on the ground.

I thought all these flag resets weren't needed anymore. It seemed fine the past few days (as far as needing flags is concerned) - and in the last day or so this is added.

Please! Consider removing this... it's not needed.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

There is no auto flag reset to my knowledge. Perhaps an administrator reset it while he was there. The flag zones are supposed to put a certain equal number of flags in each base, so, yeah...

Apparently a lot of you dislike the pyramids. I suppose I could return them to normal if we reset the server.

I'm not sure what the purpose of making the blocks drivethrough but not shoothrough is? it's how it is to keep ricos in base ok, and to make attacking the base a little harder, as the base is a place of refuge...though, it can be taken.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

jinx is right. "SirFlagResetsAlot" or something, was made by DJ. Its a bot that logs in every 10 mins, resets the flags and logs out. The problem i noticed after he had made it (as i was there when hemade it :P) was the team flag reset.

I reckon it is a good idea, but every 10mins is annoying and the expected lag that comes with it never seems to fail :P or get me killed :(

Also, i no longer have the "/flag reset <Team>" permission. I dont know if thats a direct result of this new bot, or i have just simply lost some permissions.

-Back to the bot, i dont think its worth it, i thought the flags were fine as they were, i'd still get the occasional "Flag Reset Pweeez" :P but it was ok.
jinx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jinx »

ducatiwannabe wrote:There is no auto flag reset to my knowledge. Perhaps an administrator reset it while he was there. The flag zones are supposed to put a certain equal number of flags in each base, so, yeah...
Must be an admin added it like GraceF said. One of the better things about the v3 was that it seemed the flags were being replaced at a nice pace - and no real flag reset was needed. Course, sometimes a noob would burn through all the flags, but I thought I could call a flagreset, so it must be something with the bot that's preventing it from being called GraceF.
ducatiwannabe wrote:Apparently a lot of you dislike the pyramids. I suppose I could return them to normal if we reset the server.

I'm not sure what the purpose of making the blocks drivethrough but not shoothrough is? it's how it is to keep ricos in base ok, and to make attacking the base a little harder, as the base is a place of refuge...though, it can be taken.
But the refuge is being taken advantage of. Nowhere else on the map can you sit and not *easily* be shot at. they're an invincibility flag if campers sit in the base with lasers. Drivethrough lets you out of the base without having to jump up and be exposed. Not being able to shoot through prevents the laser camping (and other camping) that's going on strictly because of the doors not being shoot through now.

Personally, I'd like to see the doorways drive-through both ways, but not shoot through. Anyone should be easily seen trying to drive in on ground level, so I don't think it would be much of an disadvantage having them open to the outside. One possible drawback in someone with an SW getting in. And I acknowledge a possible problem with inside the base rico's...
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

jinx wrote:Course, sometimes a noob would burn through all the flags, but I thought I could call a flagreset, so it must be something with the bot that's preventing it from being called GraceF.

Code: Select all

/flag reset unused
requires a different permission than

Code: Select all

/flag reset r*|g*|b*|p*
i.e. FLAGMASTER vs. FLAGMOD. Unless I'm mistaken, FLAGMASTER was recently removed from the admin groups due to abuse.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Constitution wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, FLAGMASTER was recently removed from the admin groups due to abuse.
oh wow. dat explains it then
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The only flag resets that we do at MissileWar are /flag reset unused, and that's when a base is totally out of flags, or when somebody asks us to. If you would like, we could stop doing this.

I will talk to 1st about the flag reset bot.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

ducatiwannabe wrote:The only flag resets that we do at MissileWar are /flag reset unused, and that's when a base is totally out of flags, or when somebody asks us to. If you would like, we could stop doing this.

Fix the flag zones, please. The flag resets momentarily hang BZFlag for me. I mean, I think that DW had put zones in correctly, but if not, I can help with it.
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

TangenT wrote:
Grace F wrote:
TangenT wrote:Keep the new platforms.
I vote in favour of TangenTs idea! Although im not too sure about the doors being drive-through from both sides. We'll see what happens though.
Yeah, I can live with it either both sides or just from the inside on those doors.

The problem with this idea is it's limiting the access for people to come in even more than it already is. Very rarely does anybody go out of the bases. When they do they get blown to pieces because from all the GM. Everybody seems to be staying in the bases.

I think this map should be completely redisigned in terms of the flag aspects. There is way to many super flags. It seems like everyone has GM. GM is good in limited quantities. Anybody who goes outside of the bases gets blown-up immediatly from the GMs in the towers. If no that then the lasers get them, because it ricos so much, you can shoot anywhere down below and get someone killed. (Not to mention your own teamate)

In conclusion I think there should be like 2 GM flags at each base and like 4 lasers. The rest are allowed.

Good map though DW.

RC
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

An idea is to slow the gm's down. They do rarely miss unless from close range.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

This is Missile War. It's designed to be defend your castle. There are stealth and cloaking flags, and, the new pyramids to give you cover as you cross the map to another team's base. Besides that, there are blocks and such.

I am getting the admin who made the auto flag reset to remove his bot as soon as possible. Please bear with me, as I'm doing all I can, and it isn't really *my* server. A friend is just hosting it for me. :)

The boxes probably won't be drive through on both sides and non shoot through completely. I made it drive through one way on purpose. There were far too many people just sitting there and popping in or shooting in, making the castle/base entirely unsafe. Now, they have to take the upper route..and use teamwork. I also made it non shoot through so that nobody could rico inside, cause I got too many complaints about that. So, I fix this, and now it's that they don't like it being so safe. If a team couldn't shoot out of their own castle through these blocks, it would make rico on the inside terrible, and would limit them to the middle or upper levels. Castles are to be defended. There are ways to take them, still.

TY,
dw
jinx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jinx »

ducatiwannabe wrote:[snip]
I am getting the admin who made the auto flag reset to remove his bot as soon as possible. Please bear with me, as I'm doing all I can, and it isn't really *my* server. A friend is just hosting it for me. :)
And we thank him for it! If you could also mention, make the rejoin time a bit longer (3 minutes? 5 minutes?) That way, when we get the jerk like today who had the mixture of characters in his name like this "RTHNN%$*(#$JJKL&*$(#%&JKLJLUREI&*78392" or however long it can be, he can't rejoin immediately after being kicked by the server for killing a team mate who was protecting the flag from him. He's come on the server several times, and runs whatever team's flag to another base. I don't think the long wait won't effect most of the people who play there, but it will effect those people who tk, leave, and rejoin.
ducatiwannabe wrote:The boxes probably won't be drive through on both sides and non shoot through completely. I made it drive through one way on purpose. There were far too many people just sitting there and popping in or shooting in, making the castle/base entirely unsafe. Now, they have to take the upper route..and use teamwork. I also made it non shoot through so that nobody could rico inside, cause I got too many complaints about that. So, I fix this, and now it's that they don't like it being so safe. If a team couldn't shoot out of their own castle through these blocks, it would make rico on the inside terrible, and would limit them to the middle or upper levels. Castles are to be defended. There are ways to take them, still.
I agree the castles are to be defended. I just think there has to be some way to solve the laser camping going on. If the doors stay like they are - adjusting the lasers I would think would be the next option to try.
Anyways - thx.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

ducatiwannabe wrote:The only flag resets that we do at MissileWar are /flag reset unused, and that's when a base is totally out of flags, or when somebody asks us to. If you would like, we could stop doing this.

True, although /flag reset r*|g*|b*|p* was useful for when there was a flag runner (after killing/kicking him, you could send the flag he was running back to its base). /flag reset all would do it, I guess, but I think that would make people upset. As it stands, after a flag runner has done his work, the flag he carried almost always gets captured.

I understand that the abuse problem needs to be dealt with, but I wish there was another way of dealing with it than taking the FLAGMASTER perm from those admins who use it legitimately.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Yes Constitution, now that i find i dont have that perm, the number of flag runners has increased. you can use "/flag reset all" but it gets really laggy and often annoys people.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I agree the castles are to be defended. I just think there has to be some way to solve the laser camping going on. If the doors stay like they are - adjusting the lasers I would think would be the next option to try.
Super bullet works pretty good. Laser ricos aren't that bad with pyramids. :)
True, although /flag reset r*|g*|b*|p* was useful for when there was a flag runner (after killing/kicking him, you could send the flag he was running back to its base). /flag reset all would do it, I guess, but I think that would make people upset. As it stands, after a flag runner has done his work, the flag he carried almost always gets captured.
No matter if you did the /flag reset r*|etc. or /flag reset unused, you'd get fussed at. People just hate admins resetting flags when they feel like they're about to capture.

I'll work on the spawn and rejoin time.

I really don't see how I can prevent flagrunners?
jinx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jinx »

ducatiwannabe wrote:I'll work on the spawn and rejoin time.
Thanks!
ducatiwannabe wrote:I really don't see how I can prevent flagrunners?
More cops/admins!
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

jinx wrote:
ducatiwannabe wrote:I really don't see how I can prevent flagrunners?
More cops/admins!
That would be good, usually when im on there arent any admins on and i see someone doing the wrong thing. I never know how long they were there either.

If there are going to be Admin/Cop spots available, can i suggest some people?
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

How about this? Why not just turn ricochet off? This way there are far fewer tks from within the bases, no shooting yourself from the 2nd level with laser because of the richochet, and no laser camping from the bottom level. It would make a lot more sense than turning off the shootthrough function on the exit door.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

No ricos would make it a lot harder to kill somebody taking your flag and would change most of the game strategy... I'd have to see what other players think about that. Rico seems to be a very important factor, I think...

If you have any ideas about people that should be administrators, send me a PM then... I'm usually pretty hesitant about setting a position like that, unless I know the person, or at least, know they're trustworthy. I haven't seen about eighty percent of the players when I sign on to my own map. :D
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Turning off rico, that would turn off rico alltogether and not just laser wouldnt it?

Anway, my thought on the no rico.

Hmm, that would get rid of most the camping, like dw said it would make it harder to stop flag runners, or to kill someone in general if their behind something. I suppose this "No Rico" thing would have to be tested out first, if people dont like it then take it off.

I dont play at MissleWars due to my lag so im always OB. Meaning i dont know for sure what the game play is like and how much rico is needed. From what i can see though, rico is an important factor in a players game, on all servers. It can get you out of trouble very easily.

No rico on MissleWars calls for a whole new strategy, as you would have to face your opponent head on to hit him/her. I also think that if laser could no longer rico, that SB would own even more since SB players camp outside bases and are stopped by the rico of laser. Unless in the pyraminds which are now shoot-through from only inside it.

Anyway, "No Rico", doesnt sound to good. I'd rather its range decrease, then have rico taken away.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I vote that for rico, either disable it ONLY for lasers (meaning regular shots still bounce), or severely limit the distance lasers can travel. Some distance similar to the distance a GM shot travels.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

ducatiwannabe wrote:No matter if you did the /flag reset r*|etc. or /flag reset unused, you'd get fussed at. People just hate admins resetting flags when they feel like they're about to capture.
That may be true, but is it really relevant? Sure, someone who isn't paying attention may suddenly see an opponent's team flag sitting outside his base, and get upset if an admin resets it, but I'm not sure that it's such a big deal. Admins are there to make sure that everyone plays fair, and unfair elements in a game should be removed even if it will upset some people, IMHO.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

IMHO? :S "Is my honest opinion" im guessing :P

Constitution is right. The game is meant to be played fair, if its not people do fuss, and if it is, people still fuss because they want an advantage. They wanna "Win" even though there is no finish nor reward.