Cheating admins?! What to do?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
ghost.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cheating admins?! What to do?

Post by ghost. »

Sorry for a crosspost under "Players", but this forum seems more appropriate.

What to do with an admin that is a registered player, and openly cheats on his own server, by continously giving himself the GM flag immediately after spawn.
(no flags listed in his flaghistory, whatsoever, mine and others listings were fine.)

This gives the player an unfair advantage against his opponents, where the admin seriously abuses his powers.

I was also told to "get lost" (being polite here), when i pointed out the highly inappropriate in this behavior of an admin, and that it was his right to do this, as he made the server. (as if that should change anything, when it comes to a fair game).

I am not complaining for the sake of complaining, as i won over them, big time, but i do hate it when people cheat, whatever way, to get an advantage that ordinary players does not get or have.

I think that this should be taken and treated as a plain cheat, just as any other cheat out there, only not performed by means of changed client code, but by means of adminship.

Who do i talk to, that regulates these things here on the forums/registrations, when it is the site owner is the offender?
Can anything be done in situations like this? Should any actions be taken?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Here's how it is though, if the owner of the map/server cheats, not much can be done. If the person owns it the person can do whatever he/she wants to it.

Am i right? I might not be but that's what I understand about it. :?

If they choose to do that then fine, that map won't get any real popularity.

If s/he's cheating on servers s/he Does Not own then that is a ban on spot. If s/he does own it then....what an idiot.

P.S Im also sry for the cross post. I replied to Ghost. under a different topic, then realised he made this 1 afterwards :oops:
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Nobody "regulates" this sort of thing.
If someone pays hundreds of dollars to host a bzflag server, they can do damn well what they like on that server. If you don't like it, "get lost" like they told you to.

Grace F wrote:if the owner of the map/server cheats, not much can be done.
Map owners do not necessarily have any such right - the map owner may also be the server owner, but not in all cases.

Grace F wrote:a ban on spot.
Uh... s/spot/sight/ ?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

CannonBallGuy wrote:
Grace F wrote:a ban on spot.
Uh... s/spot/sight/ ?
If someone cheats on a server they don't own then that calls for an immediate ban!

If what I said made no sense there's another way of saying it :P
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

I think that BZFlag can be "self-regulating". If players don't like a particular server they shouldn't go there to play. If an admin is cheating, not much you can do except not go to their server. Although it would be nice if the server owner publicly announced the server as a 'cheat' server.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

if you don't like a server, boycott it. Although that will probably not do anything, you won't have problems with the abusing admin anymore if you never come to that server.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

i would boycott that loser's server.. AND keep his callsign on my mind. if someone is that low to give themselves superflags on their server, they are liable to try and cheat elsewhere too.
ghost.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ghost. »

Green Manalishi wrote:i would boycott that loser's server.. AND keep his callsign on my mind. if someone is that low to give themselves superflags on their server, they are liable to try and cheat elsewhere too.

Now, that's the point of this.

The looser in this case happens to be the nick "dfwrestler91", running a copy of "big fat fortress" by Spazzy McGee. (It's not spazzy's map tho! he's got nothing to do with this, other than making the map.)

I think we all seen over time that admins that allow themselves cheating on their server, soon extends it to doing that elsewhere, just because they don't know how to play by fair means...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

server owners can do what they want. it is there server.

the project will not allow listing of servers that advertise that they are "cheat servers".

There is NOTHING anyone can do to change how a server owner runs his server. Leave it at that. Just don't play there. End of story.

If they told you to get lost, then do so. You have NO right to play on there hardware.

The project only manages the software and the global login system. It does not manage the servers. If it did, we would not include the server software so anyone can make a server.

It's simply the nature of open hosting, you will have people that do things you don't agree with, just as you will do things others don't agree with. Same in life.
ImageJeffM
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Ghost. wrote:It's not spazzy's map tho! he's got nothing to do with this, other than making the map.
Wait... It's not Spazzy's map, but Spazzy made the map...? WTF?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

ghost.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Spazzy's map...

Post by ghost. »

CannonBallGuy wrote:
Ghost. wrote:It's not spazzy's map tho! he's got nothing to do with this, other than making the map.

Think you misunderstood me.. (and me being slightly sloppy with the explanation.)

It's spazzy who made the map, but it's running on a different server, not controlled by Spazzy. Spazzy has, in other words, nothing to do with this, other than being the guy who made the map. That's what i am saying.

It's dfwrestler91 running a copy of spazzy's map on his server.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Spazzy's map...

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Ghost. wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:

Think you misunderstood me.. (and me being slightly sloppy with the explanation.)

It's spazzy who made the map, but it's running on a different server, not controlled by Spazzy. Spazzy has, in other words, nothing to do with this, other than being the guy who made the map. That's what i am saying.

It's dfwrestler91 running a copy of spazzy's map on his server.
I was questioning the "It's not spazzy's map tho".

Merry Christmas!

ghost.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Spazzy's map...

Post by ghost. »

I was questioning the "It's not spazzy's map tho".[/quote]

Ok..... nitpicking myself... should have said "it's not spazzy's server tho"...
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

you were not questioning anything. you knew very well that he meant to say 'server' instead of 'map' there.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Green Manalishi wrote:you knew very well that he meant to say 'server' instead of 'map' there.
Did I? You can read my thoughts across the interwebz? No? Didn't think so.

Merry Christmas!

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

get over your nitpicks. Seriously. he said what he meant, leave it at that.

if you 2 want to get into it, use a PM.
ImageJeffM
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

CannonBallGuy wrote:
Green Manalishi wrote:you knew very well that he meant to say 'server' instead of 'map' there.
Did I? You can read my thoughts across the interwebz? No? Didn't think so.

anyone with a little bzflag experince (which you sure have) and 60+ IQ (which i hope you have) would understand that he had made a trivial mistake there by picking the wrong word.. yet, since your primary motivation to be on the forum is to gloat over people's mistakes and make fun of them, that was just another opportunity not to be missed.
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

whole lotta anal retention going on...
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Thanks for the callsign. I have seen him on my server, I'll watch for cheating. Although I have to say if he was cheating on my server it didn't do him any good. Sounds like the admin was not cheating as in 'cheat client' but he was certainly abusing his 'adminship'.
JeffM2501 wrote: the project will not allow listing of servers that advertise that they are "cheat servers".
I did not know that, good!

I think this sums it up:
JeffM2501 wrote: There is NOTHING anyone can do to change how a server owner runs his server. Leave it at that. Just don't play there. End of story.
ghost.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ghost. »

[quote="anomaly"]Thanks for the callsign. I have seen him on my server, I'll watch for cheating. Although I have to say if he was cheating on my server it didn't do him any good. "

You are welcome!

[quote="anomaly"]Sounds like the admin was not cheating as in 'cheat client' but he was certainly abusing his 'adminship'.

That's true. It was not a cheat client, as i stated in the first post, i believe, but certainly some serious abuse of adminship, and as others pointed out, this usually extends...
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Yeah, If someone is running a server, they can do whatever they want with it.
You don't have to go there, however, and if this server owner is doing what you say, I predict his server will not gain much popularity.

I saw that spazzy's map was being used two days ago and told him about it, he didn't seem to have a problem with it.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I don't care about the usage of the map, so long as I'm credited as map maker, and not associated with the owners of the server.

Anywho, it's not a very good map in the first place. Just steer clear of any servers where you see admins acting like idiots. It's not like you don't have a choice about which server to play on - there are a couple of hundred.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
ghost.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Map..

Post by ghost. »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:I don't care about the usage of the map, so long as I'm credited as map maker, and not associated with the owners of the server.
Never saw a credit, but that might be me missing it.
Spazzy Mcgee wrote:Anywho, it's not a very good map in the first place.
It's not as bad as you may think =)
Like it, actually.
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

Nothing they own the server. You can tell them that it's going to make less people play and leave.

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The original post about Ghost saying that it wasn't the map was just a way of saying the map was not the problem. An administrator giving himself superflags is so very lame... yet it's true, it is his/her server, so they can jolly well do as they please. However, I doubt they will have a big crowd if the administration is poor. Part of what made servers like Silvercat or Secretplace so fun and popular (I think) was the administration :) so, he can do what he likes... but when he's there by himself eventually he'll be bored. All I can say is try to find another host for the map (if you wish to play on it still), or just avoid the server... I suppose warning others as well. But as has been said, you can't do anything about it other than that.