New changes @ Planet MoFo & you

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

New changes @ Planet MoFo & you

Post by I_Died_Once »

While other servers are napping the summer away, we here at Planet MoFo are forever working diligently to bring a better and more pleasureful n00b pwn1ng 3xp3r13nc3 straight from our world to yours. We've been hacking away at this for hours and hours of all days and night. Some of us on maps, some of us on server variables, and some of conf settings... all working together like mad scientists at gunpoint to perfect the game at the Passion of the Free For All. Because as much as anybody else may like or dislike our server and our game, the Passion is ours dammit.

You might have noticed some changes we implemented as of late to our beloved game. Some cosmetic, meaing they changes inly affect the way the map lokos, not so much as it plays.. and there are a couple of other changes that changes parts of game play dynamically. While I do want to field some of you good people who share the game with us opinions and suggest that I am succeptable to ideas, there are some fundamentals that are taboo and you should not request or imply.

The map and game at Planet MoFo is ever changing and forever revolving We've got some changes stashes away already for when (or is that IF ???) version 2.2 ever drops. While tanks spawning might be up for debate, flag spawning on the MOFO or "Planet MoFo" ror the circle, logo - all of that - no flag spawning will ever be had on any "sky object". On the ground, and ground buildings (teleporter box, corner boxes, center cake, crosses...) sure, we'll spawn flags there all day long. But never on any sky object. Also... no tanks NOR any flags will be considered for spawning on the corner roofs. If you want up there, you need to either falls from above, or figure out a way to jump up from below. We will not be taking maing the corner roofs one way jump though either. The one time we had it was a "mapping error" and will not be returning. Do not ask.

First and foremost, Spazzy McGee has done one hell of a job tinkering and working like a mofo on the map changes. He's put in long hours, worked very hard, and very cheap. We're proud of him for everything he's done, from practically redesinging and recoding teh map from the ground up so its the same, yet very different. Like his work on the enter cake. I can't say how good it now looks. From the diagonal tunnels to the secrets beneath. Excellent, clean, great work. I can't say enough good stuff about it. As far as I am concerned, the center cake is finished! Awesome work Spazzy! Everyone needs to give props to McGee for the majority of this.

Now, the rest of this is the stuff that is up for discussion and debate.

Secondly, we've made the carner "roofs" translucent, meaning you can partially see though them and if you're lucky, maybe you can sort out and spot someone above (or below!) you. A minor, bling based change.

Also, we've added some targets in the carners. These ricochet the ricochet-able shots. We might lower and/or shrink these so shots hit the bullseyes. Adds some risk to being in the corners.

The most controversial part of this has to do with the new sky object & spawning. What do you guys think about spawning on top of the "planet mofo" in the sky? Some love it, some hate, some are indifferent - we want to know how you feel about the sky object, and mainly spawning. I love the sky traffic, I know it bothers some. Personally, I'd like to see it redone with a differnt font, a little bigger and more "full" - I think it adds a new playing field and a new dimension to the map and game overall. L4m3r hates spawning up high with a Passion all his own.

But regardless... while seemingly nothing else is going on in the bzworld, you can bet your bottom dollar the good folks @ Planet MoFo is ALWAYS up to "no good" !!!

Drop a line and let us know what you think!
...This has been a recording.
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

The spawning up the letters is only dangerous if you hang out up there. It is easy enough to drop quickly and fairly safely. I hope we can find a way to keep play on that level. The style of the letters looks great to me - my vote is to leave it for now.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I vote to leave it up, I like spawning up there. Some hate it because they fall right into the middle of a battle, there fault, they should jump out onto the corner roofs like the rest of us.

The targets are a great add, camping was too easy.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I don't like spawning up high at all. The new letters are too big, making spawns up there waay too likely, especially on a crowded server. As a player that hates wings (unless I want it to go after a camper I ususally drop it as soon as I get it) I'm usually on the ground. I don't want to see all those shots in the air, it's irrelevant data to me. If I can't shoot it - I don't care about it.

Another change we made was making the pyramids a little taller, they're hard to jump over now, it requires a little strategy. Amazing how such a small change can affect gameplay.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Catoblepas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Catoblepas »

[administrative removal of flamebait - if you have a problem with someone's attitude, send them a PM, k?]

But anyway, back on topic, I think that you should keep spawning on top of the "mofo".
WeBeGood
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WeBeGood »

a temporal distraction wrote:The spawning up the letters is only dangerous if you hang out up there. It is easy enough to drop quickly and fairly safely. I hope we can find a way to keep play on that level. The style of the letters looks great to me - my vote is to leave it for now.
Me too, it's fun to go up on the letters. The new lettering looks great.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

The new letters are just too big spawning happens WAY too often up there.

We went to a 4 team configuration today, with the RaceToSeven scorekeeping plugin too, it's set to five captures for a win.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Joe-Schmoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe-Schmoe »

I like spawning on the letters. Otherwise it's too easy to forget that they're there ;)

Also, when jumping back down, I love falling through the "O" and firing a shot on the way so that it ricos around, trapped!

I've never had a problem with falling into combat and being shot, just jump onto the cake or the corners like Grace said. I also haven't had any problems with being distracted by tanks/shots falling all around.