Please help

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
gswish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Please help

Post by gswish »

I am trying to make a server. I have made the config, the map and everything else my self, I have even played on my server privatly. But now i want to make it public. I tried using the
-publicaddr MYIP:5154

commaand, and i got some of my friends to see if my server was on the public server list. None of my friends found the server on the list. I think the problem is that my port 5154 is not open on my computer. Can someone please tell me how to open port 5154 on my computer? Thanks
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

First of all, use a more descriptive subject line, please.
you need the -public switch, like so:
-public "My public server"

Bot being listed on the list server has nothing to do with ports being open, when the server starts, it connects to the list server the same way your web browser does (in fact, the URL for the list server is http://my.bzflag.org/db)

You are running this on a Linux kernel? If it is a firewall problem, we can't help much without knowing what OS.
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

The port may not be open, but then the server should still at least appear on the list. You need both -public and -publicaddr for it to function, I think. -public works like this:

Code: Select all

-public "My totally awesome server!"
... oops, I see AAA beat me to it.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

to open ports through your router, use the website portforward.com
please read there about exactly what opening ports means, before doing so, as it is a security risk.
Users of the windows OS usually have difficulty at this step.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.