BloodBath- great Server- HUGE problem.

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

BloodBath- great Server- HUGE problem.

Post by A Looney Kumquat »

Hey all- I'm willing to bet that almost all of you have seen the horror of BloodBath..... oh my god the lag is horrible and the teams can get SO far out of hand- it can very quickly become h3(( with one team having not only perfect lag, lucky geno pick ups and some of the best players online, but the have NUMBERS too! when I got on at about 6:30 on July 10th, (mtn standard time, US) it was 10 players blue team, and 8 red, with the highest score on blue being over 200 and the highest on red being 0- oh and might I mention that I never once saw a blue players score drop below 0? Am I crazy, or is their a problem here?
-ALK

OS Moment <"O""S" mo·ment>
1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

I dunno, seems very easy to camp there, and I have to agree with the lag. However, I've seen good players from both sides. All I have to say is that this map needs work. I've played two times and gotten 50 points within 20 minutes with a SW flag. (not good compared to others, but you know, that's my achievement)
gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gnu-sense »

I've seen some cheating on nn's servers, including Bloodbath, and I am not sure why. It may be his being relatively new, it may be the season, or something else. Some of the score/power asymmetry could be because of cheating; there seems to be a bunch going around right now.

On the lag side of things, nn may have a bit much going on on his somewhat modest setup. Don't get me wrong; I think nn is doing a very generous thing and is definitely well-intentioned. But it seems as though with the lag and other issues things may have gotten a bit over-extended. So I think nn is in a position where he needs a bit of support and attention to issues of optimizing his server operation (e.g. hosting fewer servers, setting up map-change servers for all of the maps he's trying to host, etc.) and for policing abuses like cheating. He doesn't seem to have administrative groups set up in the bb database, so he may need help with that, too.

As for the map itself, it's much improved over its earlier version, not just cosmetically, but functionally. I think the issues with play are very similar to other CTF maps, where scoring can get very asymmetric. Camping is not nearly the kind of problem it was on Future Castle, for example, and there are more opportunities for interesting play than you would sometimes get on that map (which has its fine points too). So whether one likes the challenge or finds it less fun is a matter of play style and skill level, I think. R3lax has worked out some interesting ideas on this map and deserves some compliments for it. I'm sure he'll take suggestions for improving it as well.

gnu-sense
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

gnu-sense wrote:Camping is not nearly the kind of problem it was on Future Castle, for example, and there are more opportunities for interesting play than you would sometimes get on that map (which has its fine points too).
<offtopic>
I'd be interested to hear what could be improved in that map, since I am working on a newer version soon, and I'm looking for the (limited) user feedback that I can get.
</offtopic>

R3lax:
I like it, but it is far too easy for someone to camp with, lets say, SW. I would highly reduce the amount of SW shots, to about, say 5, since it is so easy to get alot of kills with it.

Heck, probably all the really powerful superflags, in a perfect world, should only have ~5-10 shots.
AnakinPiewalker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AnakinPiewalker »

well, i love bloodbath, and if the teams are uneven; all it takes is a few good players to get on the bad team. the lag has never really been a problem for me (exept my own lag :lol-old: )
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

AnakinPiewalker wrote:the lag has never really been a problem for me (exept my own lag :lol-old: )
Thats probably because it was fixed in the month no one posted in this topic.
AAA
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by AAA »

It's called bloodbath for a very good reason.
As for cheating, it happens to be the most copped server I have ever played on, usually with 2-6 admins keeping a good eye out for cheaters and TKers.
Admin and Senior Vice Executive Administrator of Network and System Architecture @ BZFX -- Core Admin @ CAN -- SF.net user diamondmagic -- irc.freenode.net nickname AAA_awright (#bzfx if not #bzflag)
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Yea, there are alot of people looking after cheaters, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing I don't like about that map is that when a team becomes uneven, it really becomes uneven. I was on a team of 12 and the other team was 14, we got absolutely slaughtered. Not only that but the tks where everywhere :P Kinda fun though.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

well its hosted in Poland I think. so your gonna have lag.
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

okay lol- who resurected this? I posted this agood month ago! Everything has been fixed and its an awesome server, and has been top of the server list for a good month now!!!
-ALK

1) Where one can see something bad about to happen, cant do a bloody thing about it, but still has time to say "Oh 5h!t!!!" 2) An action that makes all the surrounding people drop their jaw and say "Oh 5h!t...."
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Oh no! 2 weeks without posts! Someone call the police!
A Looney Kumquat
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm saying it was resurrected because the problems have been solved and its not an issue and never really was... :roll:
-ALK