Bzfmaps.net is Looking for maps

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
nn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Bzfmaps.net is Looking for maps

Post by nn »

Bzf-maps was designed to host as many maps as possible it is a dedicated server with plenty of room and speed.

Bzfmaps.net has a website where when you host your maps on bzfmaps.net you can create descriptions of your maps that people can comment on have forums put up screen shots ect.

If you have a map that you need hosted pm me;

if you are a serious map maker planning and making as many maps as passable you can create you a map set ( A set is a dedicated port range for your maps; to have a map set you need to be hosting more than 4 maps ) on the server.

Peater is one of the currently fiew map makers that have a map set on my servers.

Or if you know ssh and have made a lot of maps that need hosting i can set you up with a ssh user account. ( comes with custom email address )

Well if you need a map hosted don't hesitate to pm the Admins:

nn ( Server Owner, Contact me about ssh also )
R3lax ( Helper Admin )

Thanks,
NN
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

I'm interested to know how much "room and speed" you have, exactly. Every time I've asked the question the in past, and you seem to try and shy away from the subject.

So, if you would, post the Upload and Download speed of your connection... with exact numbers.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Wow, still have an error on that one Drupal site. It's been there so long, that Google has indexed it.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

nn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nn »

Blast I have been wondering how to fix that for ages i even asked the druple community on irc ( No help so far on hp\ow to fix it )

Winny My service provider sold direct rate is down 6Mbits / up 768Kbits / s

but I have done extream testing using gkrellm2 when people use my servers and on average I usually get ? / 1,500 Kbits /s

the max rate i ever got when hosting blood bath was ? / 2,500 Kbits / s

this generally substanes a little over 20 people constant so It is pretty good for hosting maps where only one is near the top of the list at a time or a small amount of people (for instance around 5 per map for 4 maps ) over several maps.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

http://drupal.org/node/28972

So you might want to check about building PHP with the XML module. Or try one of the other two solutions.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

nn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nn »

Thanks Blast !!
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

nn wrote:Winny My service provider sold direct rate is down 6Mbits / up 768Kbits / s

but I have done extream testing using gkrellm2 when people use my servers and on average I usually get ? / 1,500 Kbits /s

the max rate i ever got when hosting blood bath was ? / 2,500 Kbits / s

this generally substanes a little over 20 people constant so It is pretty good for hosting maps where only one is near the top of the list at a time or a small amount of people (for instance around 5 per map for 4 maps ) over several maps.
So, you've been posting about your "server" all over the place and offering to host anyone that asks, when all you've got is a home connection?

Frankly, almost anyone can do the same thing from their own homes and save the trouble of using someone else's box.

If you're on a home connection, I would recommend hosting *one* server and concentrating on that, instead of running a bunch of potentially-lagtastic games all over.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
nn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nn »

L4m3r

This is NOT a home connection.

I use a Comcast business connection

Since I have a business connection with 5 Static ip's;
the lag times are small since, there are not many people on this business cable line around my area.
this means I also get a tun of up stream band with.

It is more than A Home connection in many ways!

NN
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

nn wrote:L4m3r

This is NOT a home connection.

I use a Comcast business connection

Since I have a business connection with 5 Static ip's;
the lag times are small since, there are not many people on this business cable line around my area.
this means I also get a tun of up stream band with.

It is more than A Home connection in many ways!

NN
No, nn it is the same as a home connection except with static IP Addresses and more e-mail addresses. From a bandwidth perspective it is the same service I have at home. From a BZFlag perspective it is the same as home cable internet. It's ok for hosting, but your player limit will be limited. Oh, and it's not 768k upstream for each ip address in case that is what you were thinking, when you mentioned "tons" of bandwidth. All 5 IPs all share the same bandwidth. Many of us are in business and have priced out internet connections, we know the facts. Unfortunately, your connection is a home connection with some business services add-ons that really don't affect the hosting BZFlag.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I have a faster home internet connection than 6Mbps. :|
Keep up the good work anyway, nn, just concentrate on fewer servers. ;)

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

One thing to remember about broadband connections, business or residential, is that they get congested. That means the throughput will vary, sometimes greatly, throughout the day. This is really true for cable broadband, its a shared channel. BTW, there really isn't much difference between business and "home" broadband connections, they use the same network equipment.
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

Comcast and Verizon charge more for a business account than a residential account of comparable bandwidth. There's a difference.

Generous offer, notwithstanding.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

boresnake wrote:Comcast and Verizon charge more for a business account than a residential account of comparable bandwidth. There's a difference.
Yes, as I said above, the difference is static ip's, more e-mail addresses, etc... not more bandwidth. The bandwith package is the same.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

I run 3 computers using my connection for daily use (email, maybe some browsing), no server stuff, and it uses practially all my bandwidth. I have 3mb/s down and ~687kb/s up. I've hosted 1 and only 1 server holding about 10+ players and it starts to lag quickly. Assuming it's just you and your server, it will eat up that VERY quickly. Plus, not ALL of the bandwidth goes directly to one server. Most of it is divided between computers, and lagging your servers by limiting the bandwidth to maybe 200kb/s up per server.