Test server for Epyon's GSOC project, bzwgen

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
macsforme
General
General

Test server for Epyon's GSOC project, bzwgen

Post by macsforme »

I recently set up a test server that uses randomly-generated maps created with Epyon's bzwgen tool. This server is at fairserve.bzflag.org:5258. The server runs on a 1-hour timer, after which a fresh map will be generated. I have a cron job running to automatically update and rebuild the bzwgen source every four hours, so what you see on the server should keep up with Epyon's commits fairly closely.

Note: because it takes a few seconds to regenerate the map, there may be a short pause between the server shutdown and startup.

Enjoy!
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

It's a nice plugin and all, but it got annoying always spawning inside the mesh boxes (The buildings). Ah well, still, I like it
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

sigonasr2 wrote:It's a nice plugin and all, but it got annoying always spawning inside the mesh boxes (The buildings). Ah well, still, I like it
That will be fixed when Epyon updates the source to define inside points for the meshes. This will also mean that players with OO will no longer be able to fire from inside the buildings.
Epyon
2007 Google Summer of Code Participant

Post by Epyon »

I fixed the inside/outside issue. Also, you can keep updated on the projects status on it's webpage:

http://bzflag.chaosforge.org/

And also, hello all :D
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

Good, another thing I encountered, one time I had to download a 500kb world file to play the map, is this supposed to be normal? 500kb seems too big for these mesh buildings... Or is it just me?
Epyon

Post by Epyon »

Yes, this is normal. The maps are very detailed mesh-wise. The dev team told me not to worry about it, 2.2 should compress those.
Epyon

Post by Epyon »

I'd like to bump this topic and remind all that the server is running -- lot has happened since the original posting, and now, at the eve of GSoC improvements are happening on a "LIVE" rate :).

I'm *very* open to suggestions, comments, praises and death threats!
trainee
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trainee »

I've been playing on it, and it is a lot of fun. We had a good game tonight.
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

The map looks pretty cool.

I just wondered how versatile your code is. Can you use it to create ducati-style maps where the buildings are not parallel?