planet mofo small :| very small problem

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
flight
Private First Class
Private First Class

planet mofo small :| very small problem

Post by flight »

the new chain link fence is pretty cool and a good idea. props to who did that one. however i'm pretty sure if the idea is that it is keeping us in, it's facing the wrong way. the barbed wire should be facing us and that would also fix the problem at every corner where the barbed wires detach from each other. leaning it the other way should make them come together.

is there a reason it's placed facing out that i don't know about?
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I'm not sure what you mean, but one reason it's the way it is, is because if your on one of the corner blocks and camping with laser, if you shoot directly at a corner block on the other side of the map, the barbed fence rebounds the shot upwards into the blue thing, then back down into the fence once again and directly back at you :P
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

Hmm, lets translate that post Grace:

If you happen to be camping on one of the corner boxes, and shoot parallel to the fencing with laser, your shot will hit the top of the barbed wire fence, ricochet up to the pyramid, ricochet back down (because it is a perfectly flat face), hit the top of the barbed wire fence, and ricochet right back at you. Since the Laser has infinite speed and range, it will it you almost immediatly. Not a good situation.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Thank you.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I tried having it the other way around - tanks got stuck on the top. Plus, this way around, there is the added bonus of the nice corner bounces.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
flight
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by flight »

well is shooting yourself with laser an effect you were going for to reduce laser camping? you could make the top mesh drivethrough and shoottrhough. no more getting stuck or shooting yourself and it's the "correct" way.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I think they should leave it how it is. I like the new rico opportunities you have from it.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

We like the ricochets a lot, it's become a lot harder to camp with laser, or any other flag.
It's amazing how a small map change can make a huge difference in play.

Technically, the top (barbed wire) portion of the fence is outside the world extents. The bulllets never touch the wire.
There is an invisible, drivethrough plane that closely approximates the position of the wire, that is inside the world. The bullets ricochet off of that. If you drive up to it, you'll notice a flash as you drive through it. I may change it, a little. There are several ways I could set it up.
We will continue to make incremental changes to the Passion map, hoping to keep it interesting.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.