Are there hidden servers?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Miller Boy
Private
Private

Are there hidden servers?

Post by Miller Boy »

I know when i go to join game it gives my about a 20-30 page list of servers are these all that exists or are there some servers out there that can be very active and not listed?

just curious
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Servers that exist but don't appear on the list are either private or advertised to a specific group. Private servers are typically for LAN games, and won't usually have a large amount of players. Servers that are advertised to specific groups are usually for leagues, special events, testing, etc.
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Are there hidden servers?

Post by BinarySpike »

Miller Boy wrote:I know when i go to join game it gives my about a 20-30 page list of servers are these all that exists or are there some servers out there that can be very active and not listed?

just curious
Yeah there was a couple league servers that would get up to 10 players on it and they were private.

If you mean if it's possible, yes you can make a private server for LAN games or such.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Every time a mapper tests a map during development he creates a "hidden" server.

I will tell you where one is, a little preview of tonight's Planet MoFo Halloween Passion, I have added half a dozen drawinfo animations to the standard Passion map, bats... skeletons... a coffin that opens... and it is now playing at port 4800.
Join any of the Planet MoFo servers, then change the port number (on your join game screen) to 4800, and join.
This map will be changed to port 4200 sometime later tonight, and become public.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.