BZFlagr and Fairserve Shutting Their Doors

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

BZFlagr and Fairserve Shutting Their Doors

Post by Winny »

Due to the fact that the internet is running out of IPv4 addresses, we have been asked to shut down, voluntarily, to give more IP Addresses to services which really matter, such as governments, or large corporations. You can read more about the IPv4 address shortage here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion

Our servers will remain operational for about 2 more weeks, at which point we will receive the information as to who our IPs will be given to. We will then make the final decision as to the date of shutdown.

You can read more about the transfer, from this sagonet internal message:

We will look forward to reopening as soon as the new IPv16 standard is ratified by ISO, at which time there will be sufficient address space available to continue our operations.

We look forward to seeing you in the future!
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

I am sorry to hear this. I really enjoyed the bzflagr/fairserve servers. The people on the servers were always the nicest ones around, and the atmosphere was always a pleasant one. I do hope that MW2 can find a suitable host, but it will never match bzflagr/fairserve as they will always be its rightful host.

RIP BZFlagr/Fairserve :(
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

The shortage of IPv4 address space is the unfortunate reality of our world. America is way behind Europe in adopting IPv6, so unfortunately the effects of the shortage are being compounded. Once IPv16 gets ratified, there will be address space enough for all.

Sorry to everyone who had servers hosted with us. If I may, I'd like to recommend BZFX, who will likely soon be the proud renters of a nice, skippy server, and I understand will be renting out server space at nominal rates.
Destroyer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Destroyer »

hm if u want i can made a server for u
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Constitution wrote:The shortage of IPv4 address space is the unfortunate reality of our world. America is way behind Europe in adopting IPv6, so unfortunately the effects of the shortage are being compounded. Once IPv16 gets ratified, there will be address space enough for all.
Hehe, I wait for IPv16, too. :D

From what I know Europe is very very slow in adopting IPv6. ISPs got plenty of IPv4 adresses, they don't feel a shortage. I've read only 35% of the providers in my country support IPv6 yet. If you look at the table of DE-CIX (second largest internet exchange point in the world) you'll notice many providers (including the biggest ones) don't support IPv6 yet: http://www.de-cix.net/content/clients.html

In the original topic it was mentioned the ISP only asks, not demands. I would be mean and say "no" because companies and governments have a higher influence on ISPs adopting IPv6 (but that's only my opinion, feel free to disagree).
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

This is indeed sad news, but if it is for a good cause I think it is a good decision.

Could you give some more information on who we should contact for donating IP's? I'd kind of like to support the cause, but everyone I talk to about it gives me a blank stare.

Thanks for all you've done BZFlagr!
this signature intentionally left blank
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

To be honest I would have told the were to go, the are whole pools of unused ipv4 addresses being sat on by Incs etc. with no real use. There isn't really a shortage ATM, just the fallout of previous bad managment.

Considering the date of posting, maybe you *should* tell them where to go.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Destroyer wrote:hm if u want i can made a server for u
Thank you, but considering the shortage, I would not be surprised if your own provider came to you soon with a similar request/demand. Until IPv6 becomes popular and/or IPv16 is ratified, the fact of the matter is that there are too few IPv4 addresses.
Tedius wrote:Could you give some more information on who we should contact for donating IP's? I'd kind of like to support the cause, but everyone I talk to about it gives me a blank stare.
From what Sagonet tells us, they are in the pool of the first Colos/Dedicated Server Providers to be asked by ICANN to consolidate IPs, but it's just a matter of time. Consider yourself "ahead of the pack" if people give you that kind of look, they will look differently at you hereafter.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Constitution wrote:Sorry to everyone who had servers hosted with us. If I may, I'd like to recommend BZFX, who will likely soon be the proud renters of a nice, skippy server, and I understand will be renting out server space at nominal rates.
Yes, we will be buying (I mean, bribing) the government for IPv4 addresses with our huge cash reserve. I think because of this position BZFX will prevail.

Rest in piece(s), BZFlagr and Fairserve, it was good to know your IP address.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

A Meteorite
I was trying to do you a favor by referring people to you... no need to bite the hand that feeds you. This is really a very difficult time for us.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

For all of your who haven't figured it out, this was indeed a April Fools joke...
Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Anthony »

again with the jokes atleast it wont bad as last year
clarahobbs
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by clarahobbs »

I thought you were serious! The "April Fools Joke" was said yesterday.
FKA Ratfink
Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

Seemed strange asking "All Sagonet Customers" to give "one, or both" IP addresses. Nicely done though!