BZFlag Server 4 You

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
TheReaper
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag Server 4 You

Post by TheReaper »

Hello,
because of some are looking for a server to host their maps, I decided to host some. At the moment there is place for 5 users. So if ou want a server, write me a PM or directly in this tread.

IMPORTANT: This project costs you nothing. The only thing is that i will be an global admin on all servers.
Anthony
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag Server 4 You

Post by Anthony »

wow ive been waiting for somthing like this here is one i made with a conf you will need to configure it to your settings
Attachments
unknowntown.bzw
(10.64 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

[The extension conf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

You may find it useful to post some of the specifications of your hosting service, such as how much available bandwidth you have, the processor speed and RAM on your machine, and how you plan to configure the servers that you set up.
Amoeba
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Amoeba »

Submitters will get full admin rights on their maps, correct? If they don't, you may have trouble finding people to submit... me for one.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

Amoeba! wrote:Submitters will get full admin rights on their maps, correct? If they don't, you may have trouble finding people to submit... me for one.
I disagree, I think people many that want to see their maps 'out there', but don't have the resources to do so, will like a good service, whether or not they have 'admin' rights.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
TheReaper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheReaper »

Every user gets full admin rights exept of shutting down the server. All my staff to look for the servers will be hidden. Server-details will folllow later.

The configuration is easy.
1. You send me a group and a config file and I will use them. THe only thing I do is change the config that it sticks to the server like the interface or port and add my Owner-Group to the Group-file.

2. When you don't have a config and/or group file I will use one of mine which i will change the way you want the server to be.
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

A nice service, though additional SSH access would be a really nice and valuable gimmick for some people. (Advantage: The map maker could always download his server-logs, to check the compliance of his server policy to do potentially bans after the event. Secondly, they could always update their settings or maps without the need to always bother you with files)
It's anyway up to you.
Last edited by z[h]ero on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
TheReaper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheReaper »

Well i think my plan for an interface would be great to do this. Cronjobs would restart the servers then wenn any change was made. This checks for changes will run through mysql and every 5th minute. I will write kind of interface this days ;)
My problem with ssh is the access. When I know how to add "virtual" ssh-accounts like a virtual user for proftpd with limited access and this things this would be no problem.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Giving a large group of people SSH access to your server will likely create a security nightmare, especially if you haven't taken steps to lock down your server. Default Linux server installations (assuming you're running Linux) aren't all that resilient against attacks from users who have login access.

Web-based administration of some kind is a far better option. While there are no such systems that are complete enough for widespread usage right now, there are several that are works-in-progress:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/masterbot
http://labs.tssoftware.net/websvn/listi ... h=%2F&sc=0
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bzwa
http://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/viewv ... /webadmin/
TheReaper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheReaper »

Hm I even thought of writing it by myself.
jpenguin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Are any spaces still available?

Post by jpenguin »

TheguywholikesLINUX
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheguywholikesLINUX »

If i can change the map and config then i would love a space!!

Thanks
Ubuntu ROCKS
fluffy mcduff
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fluffy mcduff »

are there spaces? my host is not answering me and i want an alternate dude...
TheReaper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheReaper »

Yes there are
TheguywholikesLINUX
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by TheguywholikesLINUX »

would i be able to change the map/config file? If i could i would love a space. Thanks :-)
Ubuntu ROCKS
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

PLEASE, save me a spot!

Post by Agent West »

i'm working on few maps, and would like to have a rotaion server (put new map on every week). so, Reaper, if u r still hosting, please save me a spot.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!