BZFlag client hangs or freezes

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
range-target
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag client hangs or freezes

Post by range-target »

Are there certain world file and/or bzfs.conf file settings which can cause random player (client) hangs or freezes? In particular, the "trenchwars" map I am hosting seems to cause random players' games to freeze-up. I have also seen the event first-hand with the client running on Windows 7 as well as Ubuntu 9.10. The bzfs server does not log any errors when run at -dd debug level. The server is hosted on fedora 12.
Thanks.
I drive, I shoot, I jump, I die. Pretty simple stuff...

Will admin for food! May Tux bless you.
blast
General
General

Re: BZFlag client hangs or freezes

Post by blast »

I know of one reason why game clients will lock up. If the map doesn't have any area of the ground (as in, the real ground - elevation 0) exposed, and you have antidote flags turned on (the -sa bzfs option), it will lock the client up as it tries to find a place to put the antidote flag when someone grabs a bad flag.

So, if you have a map with no ground exposed, don't use the -sa option.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

range-target
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by range-target »

Blast,
Thanks for the suggestion. The trench_warfare.bzw map does have some exposed areas in the map at 0 elevation -- namely the trench zones. But, I have gone ahead and disabled the -sa option to see if it helps the situation.
I drive, I shoot, I jump, I die. Pretty simple stuff...

Will admin for food! May Tux bless you.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Right. I saw those, but wasn't sure if that was actually the ground, or if there was an object at the Z = 0 elevation to make it brown.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)