Private Server Client Authentication

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Private Server Client Authentication

Post by enrico123 »

The only thing i can see is that do i need to put the publicaddr as the private list address because atm it is set to Hosting.BZAddict.net:5162, is that ok
"See a need fill a need"-(Bigweld from the movie "Robots")
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

No. The public address is just that... the public address. But the bzfs server needs to know the address of the private list server and your client does as well. These are the settings:
deliot wrote:
C:\BZFlag\bzflag.exe -list http://<<your private list server public address>>/phpbb/bzfls.php -configdir c:\bzflag\config\
Or on the server site, did you do all of these settings:
-public "My LAN BZFlag Server"
-publicaddr <<your public IP Address>>:<<map port>>
-p 5154
#-q
-publiclist http://<<your private list server public address>>/phpbb/bzfls.php
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And again, realize that this is for very specific situations, not just to run some team/clan server. Someone wanting to run a private server that still has authentication (and that shows up on the list for specific people) should use global group(s) and the -advertise feature of bzfs.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

running your own list server means you basically want to fork the game. it's possible but we didn't make it easy.
ImageJeffM
deliot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by deliot »

Just to close this all up from my end. I have my Private List Server running now. Today, I had 20 kids come in and try it out, and it worked like a champ. So thanks to everyone that helped out, especially Blast.

My experiences setting this up are detailed in the following BZFlagWiki article:

http://my.bzflag.org/w/Private_List_Server

Finally, the vast majority of server admins DON'T NEED TO DO THIS. My situation, being behind a school district firewall with no way to access the list server, is highly unique!!

Dan
enrico123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by enrico123 »

Ive not said but i am in the same situation as deliot

being behind a school district firewall with no way to access the list server, is highly unique!!
"See a need fill a need"-(Bigweld from the movie "Robots")
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

There are really not very many good reasons for running a list server for a small LAN game, or even a slightly larger game such as at school. If all your users have to type in a custom list server address, it would probably be much easier to type in a game server address instead.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The only reason would be for authentication, and in smaller lan games it's simpler to use server passwords for administration. I can't see how a school would need a multi-level administration staff setup. If someone is being a jerk, go smack them and tell them to stop it.
ImageJeffM