Setting up a server: WinXP

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Setting up a server: WinXP

Post by cjc343 »

Long story short: I have an extra Windoze box, and I would like to run a BZFlag server on it.

My setup:

DSL Modem > Apple Airport Extreme Base Station > (wirelessly) Computer.

I created a custom bzfs.conf file and also created a .bat file to run bzfs using that conf file.

I started the server using the IP address assigned by the router (Using DHCP + NAT) and it ran, but only locally.

After assigning a new IP and making it the Default Host (and also disabling other security):

I started the server (maximum debug) and I got an error: "ERROR: Unable to start the server." No other information

So, I connected directly to the DSL Modem, same problem.

I have disabled the firewall on the computer, and done everything I can think of to fix this, but without luck.

Thanks for any help,

cjc343
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

plz post ur conf file(the new 1)
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

ok... anything else you need?

I am using a dynamic IP address, so I have been (trying) to use dyndns.org to redirect the traffic to the right IP.

Code: Select all

-requireudp

-public "Test Server"

-publicaddr bz.game-host.org

-srvmsg "Test Server - cjc343"

-lagwarn 400

-lagdrop 3

-maxidle 300

-tk

-tkkr 30

-admsg "This is a test server that belongs to cjc343, the map is not final, use '/report' to submit comments"

-reportfile "C:\BZlog.txt"

-d
-d
-d
-d

-password *Edited out, was in format "password"*

-passdb "C:\BZpass.txt"

-voteTime 120

-vetoTime 60

-voteRepeatTime 120

-c

-fb

-sb

-b

-h

-mp 10

+s 20

-s 30

-t

-sa

-tftimeout 5

-j

-ms 5

-st 10

-sw 1

-autoTeam

+f team 

-publiclist db.bzflag.org

-i bz.game-host.org
The previous version did not define the public server address, but I added that recently to see if it would work.

I removed all of the comments, if you want them back, I can put them back.

Thanks in advance.
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

take out -i and -publiclist
add "-port 5154"
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you don't need to add -port if your just going to set it to the default
ImageJeffM
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

I removed -i and -publiclist and added -port

I tried this configuration using DHCP + NAT and then using the local host option. Neither worked.

Then I removed "-port 5154" and tried again. Same.

I will attempt it again without the router sometime tonight.
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

ok... after managing to get the settings for the modem right, I tried again. No difference.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

slap in -d -d -d -d and see where it's failing on the list server
that will turn on the mondo logs
ImageJeffM
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

cjc343 wrote:

-d
-d
-d
-d

Already done. Thanks anyways.
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

ok, after fooling with my internet settings a little more, I now have a new problem, but the old one is gone.

Running a public server with the following settings:
        public address is bz.game-host.org
        listening on 0.0.0.0:5154
        with title of "Test Server"
Opening List Server
Sent ADD message to list server
GET /db/?action=ADD&nameport=bz.game-host.org&version=BZFS1910&gameinfo=00cb0005
000100640000000000000a000a000a000a000a000a00c8&title=Test+Server HTTP/1.1
Host: db.bzflag.org
Cache-Control: no-cache

Closing List server
That's the last bit of information displayed in bzfs, and the problem there is that my computer is listening on port "0.0.0.0:5154" which doesn't exist.

any clues?

edit:

I can still see it on my home network.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That is just the address which it is listening on, which is the broadcast address. That is how I run my servers, and they work just fine.

Also, I nmap'ed your port 5154, and it says that it's closed. However, I can't be sure that you have updated your dyndns.org Dynamic DNS account, so that might not have been your machine. Make sure that port is open, and that the traffic is being redirected to your server.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

ok... I did a port scan and found a few ports that were already open... 5009 was one of them.

I changed my "-p 5154" tag to ""-p 5009"

I started the server using that configuration, but it still didn't work. I cannot see it locally or from outside now.

My dyndns registration is updated every time my IP address changes, so that is not the problem. Has anyone had any good experiences with other free services that work relatively the same?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ImageJeffM
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

cjc343 wrote:ok... I did a port scan and found a few ports that were already open... 5009 was one of them.

I changed my "-p 5154" tag to ""-p 5009"

I started the server using that configuration, but it still didn't work. I cannot see it locally or from outside now.

My dyndns registration is updated every time my IP address changes, so that is not the problem. Has anyone had any good experiences with other free services that work relatively the same?

just to check things, have you tried setting it up to connect to your dymanic ip.....just to make sure the server is running period. i have done this several times from home to check things. it runs until my ip changes, but it only changes every 12-24 hours or so.

also, just a little clarification, are you connecting to the server from another machine on the same lan, or is it the same machine.....ie your client and server are running on the same machine.

(if it is the same machine, (a windoze box), try using "localhost" instead of the ip address listed in the server list. ....and ask others to help check connections from outside the firewall.)

couple differences from my standard setup.

i dont use -i, never had, not sure if there is a reason.
my version of publicaddr is -publicaddr bzflag.galkire.net:5555
i also dont use -publiclist.

hope that helps.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

Grumbler wrote: just to check things, have you tried setting it up to connect to your dymanic ip.just to make sure the server is running period. i have done this several times from home to check things. it runs until my ip changes, but it only changes every 12-24 hours or so.
I will try this... thank you.

also, just a little clarification, are you connecting to the server from another machine on the same lan, or is it the same machine.ie your client and server are running on the same machine.
I am running the client on a seperate machine from the server. I ask people who are outside to try to connect sometimes but they do not see it in the server list, and they cannot connect via a manual configuration.

i dont use -i, never had, not sure if there is a reason.
my version of publicaddr is -publicaddr bzflag.galkire.net:5555
i also dont use -publiclist.
I removed "-i" and "-publiclist" at one point but I did not change my original post. I will try listing the port in the "-publicaddr" tag.

Patlabor221 wrote:http://no-ip.com
thanks... I will try them if I can't get it to work using the above suggestions.
julesthejackal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by julesthejackal »

If this is an extra PC that you are going to use to run a bzflag server and only a server then why dont you install Linux on it and run it on Linux? Most servers out there run bzflag on Linux

Just a little idea for you to consider.

Jules :wink:
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the server runs fine on XP, he has other issues most likely with his routing setup, he needs to solve those before he'd get any OS to work for him.
ImageJeffM
julesthejackal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by julesthejackal »

What type of router r u using?

I have had issues with D-Link-614+ router......can only get the server to be shown locally on it.

I hope thats not what you have. ( i use it now as a wireless gateway on my LAN)

I also have the D-Link-707P which is my router.......works perfect and its the same company.

Just a tidbit I thought you might like to know :?
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

I have had problems obtaining Linux distros, or I would have it installed on the spare HD. If you know a place to get full distros that doesn't have problems with disconnections and that transfers data at a reasonable speed (> 60 KB/s) I would like a link. (I would prefer not to use P2P)

I am using a Apple Airport Extreme base station.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I guess it thinks difrent ;)

have you tried any of the standard public shortcuts that are installed with the windows version? I know for a fact they work if your connection is configured properly.

some ISPs put you behind a transperant nat or proxy that would prevent you from running any type of server.
ImageJeffM
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

Patlabor221 wrote:I guess it thinks difrent ;)
Yes, it does...... I wasn't the one who bought it, I would have gotten a cheaper one than that. (This isn't the only problem I've had with it.)
have you tried any of the standard public shortcuts that are installed with the windows version? I know for a fact they work if your connection is configured properly.

some ISPs put you behind a transperant nat or proxy that would prevent you from running any type of server.
I'll try that right now.

I tried have tried the suggestions I said I would try in my post before last. The only one I have not fully tried is using no-ip.com. I will do that if I can get the default setups to work.
cjc343
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cjc343 »

ok.... I guess I better get that working first....
julesthejackal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by julesthejackal »

For a great linux distro try knoppix
www.knoppix.com
Just do a little research into it

It is a LIVE-CD distro but it can be installed on your hard drive also. To install it on your spare hard drive, boot the live-cd,
open up a terminal window
then type
sudo knoppix-installer

I use knoppix for my server
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I use Slackware's ZipSlack. It's a stripped down version of Slackware, but it runs a bzflag server just great. I have mine installed in c:\linux\ (Windows 95 machine) and I just boot up in MS-DOS and run it. It's only a 50MB download, and it can fit on and boot off a ZIP disk if you so choose.

ZipSlack
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the standard shortcuts don't need a domain name, they send your IP to the list server. you may want to try them with no router in the line, just to see if your connection even supports a server.
ImageJeffM