how to fix global authentication?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Ultra
Private First Class
Private First Class

how to fix global authentication?

Post by Ultra »

Password has been typed correctly 100+times XD, tried to use port 81, tried to go to my.bzflag.org tried everything! but didn't work. is there an admin here who can confirm me or something ?.
Ultra ---> the one and the only.
blast
General
General

Re: how to fix global authentication?

Post by blast »

The problem seems to be that your web traffic is going through a different ISP than your game server connection. The game client sends an HTTP request (a web request) to the list server, and this shows as coming from Lynx Internet. When you connect to a game server, however, it shows as coming from Broadband Plus. Because the IPs don't match, the token is invalidated.

EDIT: And both seem to be related (or a part of) FiberLink Networks. So perhaps just different parts of a larger ISP. My guess is that they have you behind a web proxy, even for port 81, and this is affecting your ability to play.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Ultra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ultra »

Blast Thank you Very much, Blast iam now registered token approved! Thnx to you <3 LifeSaver Token Approved!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Aracinth
Private
Private

Post by Aracinth »

I wonder if this is what's going on with my global reg... I keep getting:
"ERROR: did not get token.
NOTOK: invalid callsign or password.
[SERVER->] Global login rejected, bad token."

I checked my config file and confirmed my password & callsign were both correct (after attempting them manually multiple times), but its still not working.
Perhaps the global registration just needs awhile to update? I don't know how the global registration information is handled.
I just updated my password today, got the app running on Mavericks with the nogamma2 build... but am stumped by this error.

Ultra mentioned something about Port 81? I tried specifying Port 81 but that seemed to break my ability to connect completely.

Any help resolving this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!
~Aracinth
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That error would imply that your username or password is incorrect. And there should be no delay between updating the password here and it working in the game because it's all one database.

As for the port 81 thing, that should work just as well or better than port 80, so perhaps you didn't set it right?
http://wiki.bzflag.org/Common_Support_I ... dentifying
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Aracinth
Private
Private

Post by Aracinth »

You are correct I had not specified port 81 correctly, thanks for the link!
Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same error...
Triple checked that everything was set up correctly in the config file (callsign, password, modified db list url), and it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.
Any suggestions on what to try next? (or where to look next for possible existing solutions?)
No rush, but at some point I'd love to get back to playing with my callsign. :-D
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Only thing I can think is that you maybe have some odd character in your password that it's not passing to the list server correctly.

nijineko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nijineko »

hmmm, i am getting the similar error, bad token, whenever i attempt to join any server. i have updated the password here and on my client, but to no avail.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

nijineko wrote:hmmm, i am getting the similar error, bad token, whenever i attempt to join any server. i have updated the password here and on my client, but to no avail.
You seem to be behind a transparent HTTP proxy as the IP of your web requests doesn't match the IP that you connect to game servers with, causing the token to not be valid. Close the game down and edit the configuration file to use port 81 for the list server:
http://wiki.bzflag.org/Common_Support_I ... dentifying

nijineko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nijineko »

Ah, me too, eh? and so that's where my config file hides. Thank you.

however, even after changing it to port 81 per the instructions, saving, and restarting bzflag, it is still rejected.

What else should I try?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You'd probably have to switch to a different ISP.