List Server questions

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

List Server questions

Post by trpted »

https://wiki.bzflag.org/Private_List_Server

While that is nice talking about a LAN Server. What if I know of a public server that someone else owns and is not listed on the public list server?

Is it possible to run a private list server that get data from the public list server too ( https://wiki.bzflag.org/List_Server ) ?

I like going to Join Game -> Find Server and seeing how many players on that server without first connecting to the server.

To be more exact..

I would like to be able to go to Join Game -> Find Server, seeing the non listed public server(s) in there that I know about, seeing the other servers on the public list and seeing how many players on that server without first connecting to the server(s).

Please and thank you
blast
General
General

Re: List Server questions

Post by blast »

Yes, it is possible to run an "unlisted" server that uses the list server. Adding '-advertise NONE' to a normal public server will make it show up for nobody, regardless of global group membership. Or, the -advertise option can be used to advertise the server to just specific global groups, so only registered players in those groups would see the server on the list. I believe '-advertise VERIFIED' can also be used to only show the server to registered players.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

While that is useful, thank you (Please do not delete/with-draw your post), when I asked the question:

I was talking about the client side connecting to a private list server, in turn the private list server connects to the public list server and any other public server that is not listed that I know about.

Thank you
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I answered that. "Adding '-advertise NONE' to a normal public server will make it show up for nobody, regardless of global group membership." If it's not listed for you, it won't be listed for you.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Ok. Let me try again this again.

Can a private/LAN list server connect to the public list server - Yes or no?

Thank you
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

No. It would be possible to run a custom list server, but it's not a trivial setup.

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Ok.

What about the future?

I see at https://wiki.bzflag.org/List_Server that you are going toward a system based on LDAP - something called BZAuthd

#1 Is it (or will it be) possible to run a BZAuthd private server?

#2 Only if so: Is it (or will it be) possible that the BZAuthd private server connects to the public BZAuthd server?

b) How trivial is it (or would be) to setup a BZAuthd private server?

c) How trivial is it (or would it be) to do the task number 2 listed in this post of mine?

Thank you
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZAuthd hasn't been touched since 2009. Honestly, I can't even remember how exactly it was designed. At the moment, I've playing around with a different way to handle authentication, since our current method makes it difficult/impossible to support IPv6.