grassrootsportals problem

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
anteater
Private First Class
Private First Class

grassrootsportals problem

Post by anteater »

for the past four days or so i have been trying to join grassrootsportals but i get and error message. sorry do not remember what it is at this time and i am at work so i am unable to see now. i have talked to red baron2 and he gets the same problem. i have tried to join under different names and set my team to automatic. :cry:

anteater

sorry if this is the wrong spot for this post. np if moved.
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

The same thing happened to me with Ducati once. Just all in a sudden. I did a traceroute, and it turned out that the route hit a dead-end at some point. Didn't make much sense to me ... the problem cleared up after 4-5 days and all was good again.

Give it a try and see. In Windoze, run this:
tracert bzflag.grassrootsportal.com
anteater
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anteater »

ty meno i will try that.
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

i found out what the problem was . there was a broad IP range ban on a particular cheater , that also affected ant_eater because he had a similiar IP address as that person . the ban was made inadvertantly , and IMHO heedlessly , by another admin .
after i lifted the ban ant_eater was able to join the server again .
i never look forward to banning anyone (only when neccesary) and i'm esp. not a fan of broad range IP bans . for me , broad range bans are a last resort . there is always a possibility of unintentionally blocking innocent bystanders .
even Cosmos , the server host of valentino.hepcat , had the same problem of not being able to enter the grassroots server . once when i was playing on hepcat , he asked me for help . after he gave me his IP # i was able to look into the banlist and find out that he too fell victim to a broad range ban .

Cosmos assured me that he never did anything to warrant a ban and i believe him . from reviewing the notes on the reason for the ban , left on the banlist by the other admin , i could tell that the ban was not meant for Cosmos .
when i lifted the ban he was able to play on grassroots again .

i've played with Red Baron2 enough to know that he is an honorable and fair player . it's possible he is experiencing the same problem . if anyone feels that they are an innocent bystander of an IP ban ... please PM me a message explaining your situation along with your IP # and i can help look into the situation and possibly fix the problem .

thanx =)

*BZhugz*
anteater
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anteater »

thanks rc for the help.
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

;)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Thanks RC. it works. It block ant and our IP's because we are in the same region.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

cool =)

it's always fun to play with good players like you guys ... looking forward to seeing you all there =)