Servers with bots are taking over the first page of servers

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Hillbilly on the run
Private First Class
Private First Class

Servers with bots are taking over the first page of servers

Post by Hillbilly on the run »

I hate the new servers with like 16 bots. They made them with so many bots so their servers stay on the first list of servers. I dont think that is real far because it is just sitting up there and no one but the bots are playing it. For new versions I dont think bots should be counted has players on the player list that way u do not have dead servers on the first page taking up room.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

moved to Servers: General Discussion
ImageJeffM
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

Notice some of their callsigns, "real" people playing on autopilot - and are not the usual bot.

Guess what I am getting at is that there are what appears to be individuals signing in, then starting up autopilot and maybe not even hanging around to watch the action. Acts like bots but slightly different.

one way I've noticed they are an easy kill, say you are on an upper level above them, and within their jumping height range...while facing them, sort of drive up to the edge of the level you are on and do a sudden quick stop while firing over their heads...they eventually jump (for some reason I haven't figured out - they usually do some sort of backwards spin jump it appears)
then just wait out their freefall back to the ground and shoot em.

They are a pest because most of the servers I've seen alot of bots and or autopiloteted tanks are using what appears to be old code - the bots and the ap tanks can "see" st tanks - when they shouldn't be able to.

just a couple of observations there. Take it or leave it.

"I hate the new servers with like 16 bots. They made them with so many bots so their servers stay on the first list of servers."

in relatation to what Hillbilly stated, I wonder which servers would want to "pad" their level of popularity by using such a tactic?

Not going there, nevermind that.

Things that make you go ummm though.........
EvilChickenNugget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EvilChickenNugget »

I saw a server yesterday like that. It was first on the list. I think it was called "BZFlag Gone WRONG". Upon joining I saw that the entire purple team (at least 12 players) was filled with bots from a player called zombie (so it was zombie01, zombie02, etc)

It was somewhat annoying. But hey whatever, didn't take much effort to go back to the server list and join another game.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I'm tired of people coming into a server and then playing autopilot. The most annoying aspect is the "Roger" messages that are akin to spam. Some of these guys flip the autopilot off/on every time they die.

Not to mention some of the autopilot bugs.

I'd like to see server options that detect/kick autopilot if the admin wants, but it would be better to just turn off the capability. And the ability to shut off the autopilot "Roger" messages.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
poxy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by poxy »

Toaster...

The server can already detect when there is a roger or bot, and disallow such use.
Unfortunately, it relies on the [ROGER] ... is taking controls of ... messages to detect the use of Roger.

The source told me so.

so, toaster... fix that one :P
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

I am not going to try and defend those that use the bots just to lure people in, I know i use the bots to test maps......but I usually dont leave them there. Since its hard to get a bunch of people to join a server just for a quick test. I did most of the Angriff testing with that approach. I suppose I could do this lan side, but its just easier to use my host server.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

poxy wrote:Toaster...

The server can already detect when there is a roger or bot, and disallow such use.
Unfortunately, it relies on the [ROGER] ... is taking controls of ... messages to detect the use of Roger.

The source told me so.

so, toaster... fix that one :P
Cool. Thanks for the note. I never looked through the code for it. I just haven't seen docs on disabling bots. Now, if only I owned the servers. :)

I suspect that if a user is smart enough to mess with their client code to disable sending the Roger messages, then he/she is also smart enough to disable most types of state information that could be reported to a server if it were developed. So I don't know if it's truly unfortunate that it's the only way to detect it right now. Plus, I've noticed that most of the autopilots I've seen running are from newbs or poor players, all unlikely to be mod'ing the code.

Grumbler, I use bots to test my maps, too. That's a very good use.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

I've seen running are from newbs or poor players
always trying to classify me...
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Carnage wrote:
I've seen running are from newbs or poor players
always trying to classify me...
Hehe, I don't think I could classify YOU that way, Carnage. :)
-toaster
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SportChick »

Someone wrote a patch (I think it was vicious/skooguy) that is currently being used on Secretplace. If someone turns on autopilot, they get a server message announcing that autopilot is not allowed on the server. If they do not turn it off, they will be autokicked the moment they are killed. It seems to work nicely and has seriously cut down on the people attempting to use autopilot on that server.
poxy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by poxy »

This functionality is already in 1.10.6 servers.
You should read the manual yourself, but here is an excerpt anyway, free of charge:

-prohibitBots Disallow clients from using the ROGER autopilot or from using robots.

That goes on the server command line, or the -conf equiv.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

To comment on poxy's most recent post about the source code only detecting auto pilot from "ROGER" deal...

If I submitted such a patch, I would be barreled with laughs at how easy a moded client can get away with it :) I wonder how some of these things get this far without being stopped
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at earlier. Need some better way.... Heh.
-toaster