Help, I cannot connect to any of the serrvers now....

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
daydreamer
Private
Private

Help, I cannot connect to any of the serrvers now....

Post by daydreamer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:43 am

I was able to join and connect any time this morning (Saturday 5th December), but after 6pm I cannot join any server - I can get the server list OK, my cable modem data light fliashes when I send a join server request - then the light flashes again as if something is being sent back... but 'bzflag' just locks up....

The servers seem to be working OK... can anyone help?

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:09 am

Hey, that happens to me! ('cept i'm using the CVS version when that happens) and regards to the data light, so much crap goes through my modem it's on more than the computer.

daydreamer
Private
Private

Post by daydreamer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:47 pm

I tried running 'cola' (a packet sniffer) on my PC to see what was going in or out. 95% of the traffic is "whois address" requests from the head-end of the cable network. The "incoming light" seems to blinking twice as frequently as it used to.

It's like Telewest have blocked the "joined game" acknowledgement, since I get informed if all the slots on a server are in use. I've tried checking ingoing and outgoing messages on the 5000-6000 port range, and they work.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:47 pm

if your behind a router or firewall make sure it will let UDP packets thru. They are needed to play the game.

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:56 pm

Just asking, what port does BZFlag use when communicating with the servers? I'm on a multi-computer-with-a-router system and i've already configured the router to forward traffic on 5156 (BZFlag Server) to my computer.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:24 pm

the list server is a webserver so it's just like a browser on port 80

toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:16 pm

But the game servers are configurable by the owners. The most common ones run in the range of 5150 through 5160. You would have to open up all those ports to be able to access them. You can tell by choosing a server from the list. Then, before joining, look at the info displayed. The port number is near the bottom. Your client gets that information from the list server's database.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."

RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:38 pm

PL that helps! I was running a web server for development reasons and so I blocked all of my port 80 traffic. I guess I gotta undo that.

daydreamer
Private
Private

Post by daydreamer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:50 pm

My system has been playing bzflag perfectly before lunchtime (and has been for the nine months before that). One minute it was working, then the next it's not working.

I can still get the number of players/observer on each server. I checked my port communications. I can open to receive as well as open to send.

When I have time, I'll download and compile the source, and see where everything is halting.