SERVER OWNERS - General Format Guidelines

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

SERVER OWNERS - General Format Guidelines

Post by Fiberchunks »

hey y'all:

<strike>I'm trying to get this together based on a couple of people's inputs regarding public server discussions and such. If you would be so kind, please PM me with the details of your server (settings, terms of service and such), so that I can create a Topic for it -- or... if you create your own topic, please let me know, so I can stickify it (please follow the format I have cobbled together in the other posts here).</strike>

Never min all that stuff above: just follow this format if you would:

[POST SUBJECT]: <public server name> <port number>

[IN THE BODY OF THE POST]:

SERVER ADMINS ::
<admin list>
<admin email address?>

SERVER SETUP ::
<setup parameters>
# flags
# shots
# players / team, etc, etc

SERVER POLICIES ::
<policy list>

[/END BODY OF POST]

If you can think of anything else that should be in there, let me know :)

Peace
Last edited by Fiberchunks on Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dutchrai »

Great Idea! Finally a place to put the Terms of Service of a server and other stuff... 8)
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
[color=#405070:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
[/color:82d1e9b9a0]
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Fiber,

I have to chime in tune with dutchrai, and say that I think it's an excellent idea. A "terms of service" is a very effective piece of text to have around, provided server ops send you such information. I hope most won't be too formal or legal-like. :)
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

thank Chestal, as this is not my idea.

Peace
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dutchrai »

Just an idea...if it sucks...let me know...might be an old idea too...but then again its just an idea...er...oh well, here it goes:

Why not make a SIMPLE code-rating system for servers, something that goes like this:

NC - No Cheating, but X-rated language and X-rated callsigns are allowed (great if you like an honest game where anything can be said).

NC+ - No Cheating or X-rated language, but X-rated callsigns are ok (great if your call sign is F*** Y**).

NC++ - No Cheating, X-rated language or X-rated callsigns are allowed (great for gentleman/ladies/kids).

NL - No Limits: Cheating, X-rated language and X-rated callsigns are allowed (basically for cheat client testing).

Any server owner could add this rating code to the title of their server either in BZFS or in this Forum Thread. Eliminates the need for long stories per server and every player and admin knows directly what he/she is dealing with.
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
[color=#405070:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
[/color:82d1e9b9a0]
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

good idea dutchrai -- but of course that's precipated on the server admins actually using the code --

By all means, develop it (and consider trying to make it as easy to use as possible). Since I'm back working my lovely 16 hour days now, I really don't have time for things of this nature (not the board maintenance, but developing the code).

So, as Tim (and others), would say on #bzflag : 'Patches Welcome :) "

When / if you get it done, let me know, and I'll slap it up -- or even better, create a new thread for it and then people can post their ideas as well.

Peace
-353-CAPPY
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by -353-CAPPY »

good idea

when i get my server up and running(that is if i finally decide on a OS that is ) :roll:

the terms of service i will like

I hate bad laugage and cheaters.

I fly alot of IL-2 Sturmovik(ww2 flight sim) and i wish they had a ban control on the servers that our group members run.

As soon as i am up i will post my server

ty

HEINOLA aka(Capt.CAPPY =352= 353rd VFG