Break DOwn

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Break DOwn

Post by Cobra »

OK I have read the how to for hosting a server. but I am not a techie, so I still have little to no idea what to do can someone give my a step by step process of what to do in lamens terms please, I am trying to get a server up so my team can practice. oh and is there anyway to put a password protector on it, thanks for everyone who helps me on this. :D
A True measure of a man is a man who will lay his life on the line for those who will never know.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

It's quite simple to do in reality, it just is difficult to get a good, customized-to-the-bone server going. You should create a config file (any basic text file) listing BZFS options in it, so you don't have to retype them everytime in the console. Enter: "bzfs -conf CONF_LOCATION" into the command prompt, replacing "CONF_LOCATION" with the location of the config file, in quotes if the address has spaces. The file name will do if it is in the same directory as BZFS. Below is a basic config file for a basic, public server:

-passwd "PASSWORD"
-ms 5
-mp 10
-publicaddr "ADDRESS"
+r
-j
-lagwarn 1000
-lagdrop 3
-srvmsg "WELCOME_MSG"
-public "LIST_DESCRIPTION"
-spamtime 10
-spamwarn 3
-reportfile reports.txt
-groupdb groups.txt
-userdb users.txt
-passdb passwords.txt

Replace "ADDRESS" under -publicaddr with your IP address or host name, "WELCOME_MSG" with a msg to send to joiners when they first join, "LIST_DESCRIPTION" with a description to advertise on the server list, and "PASSWORD" with a super secret password to gain administration status.

This basic server is a FFA server for 10 players max, has local server registration support, has 5 shot limit, and kicks players after 3 warnings for lag over 1000ms. It also kicks people that spam 3 times within 10 seconds of duplicated msgs.

For other options (and bzfs has a truckload of these), enter "bzfs -help" for a list and description of options.
Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cobra »

ok thanks just 2 more small question 1. what command prompt.
A True measure of a man is a man who will lay his life on the line for those who will never know.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Depends on your operating system. If you have Windows (which I am quite confident you do), the command prompt is the famous CMD.EXE. Click the Start Menu, select "Run" towards the bottom right (or somewhere there), and type in "cmd". A black square window should pop-up (it may take a few seconds to display text, but it may not). When the text appears, just enter "cd DIR", replacing DIR with the complete path to BZFS. There do not need to be quotes, even if it has spaces. Remember, enter *only* the path, not BZFS at the end. For example, enter the path as "C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0", rather than "C:\Program Files\BZFlag2.0\bzfs.exe". Once you have done this, and it succesfully changed the directory, follow the previous response's instructions. If you have Linux, then I am simply speechless. If you have Macintosh, I am unsure of what to do, therefore please note this in a follow up to this thread, and somebody will further instruct you.

Your second question is missing.

Glad to be of help. Any further questions you have--I will be here, so will others, so feel free to ask.
Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cobra »

thankyou very much you have helped alot and i assum if i want to create my own map i can load that into the server.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Yes, by adding command line option "-world WORLD_NAME" to the config file. Again, replacing world_name with the obvious, and the quotes thing too :)