New Server: Planet MoFo

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

New Server: Planet MoFo

Post by I_Died_Once »

68.85.3.150:4200

Finally, after hours of cutting through red tape, a thousand apologies, a couple of broken hearts, political beauracracy, rumors of fear that I'll snag secretplace's player base, and a name change... Planet MoFo is back online!!!

Previously titled "Planet Mother****er" (without the *'s) Pretty much anything goes. I have no shot limits, 500 wing jumps, and you can come on there and cuss to your hearts content. I specifically do NOT employ the master ban list on my server, 'cause I know that people can get put on it for silly reasons - and I think everyone should be able to play. The only thing I do not want on my server are cheats. Cheats being software type of cheats. I caught and kicked some guy I saw employing some sort of "pause" cheat, where he kept pausing to keep from getting hit. Camping, hunting, and socializing is all fair game.

The server is an old Dell 8100 - a pentium 4, with like a 1.2 ghz processor, 256 megs of ram, running Suse Professional 9.2. Internet connection is a cable modem, provided/serviced by Comcast, in gool ol' Savannah, Ga. USA. Yay!

So heres a quick list of the info as asked in the "Calling all server owners" thread.

Server Admins: Me! If you see "Darth Vader" on, it's either me, or a bot 'cause I'm not present doing my administrator thing.

Server Admin email address: I_Died_Once@hotmail.com (please incluse "bzflag" in the subject so I don't junk mail it, please)

Server Setup

Flags: (Will update with accurate information later. In a nutshell, I'll say lots of GM, SW, SB, WG, ST, CL, G, and a couple of BY and Trigger Happy)

Shots before reload: 20

Teams: 1 rogue, 6 of everyhting else

Server Policy:

Enter at your own risk, server owner/admin takes no responsibility as to whatever happens to you, your computer, or your pets/barnyard animals while connected to Planet MoFo. Most anything goes, no cheating.

I'm gonna rotate out a few maps every couple of days or so. Currently, I have ready for play:

The Passion of the Rabbit Hunt
The Passion of the Free For All
(both have the same map/flags... big square map with a couple of pyramids, teleporters n all 4 corners, a couple of platforms in the middle, with three crosses - hence, the passion of...) These are my two primary modes of play.

Also on standby, I have ready for play:

The OTHER Two Castles - which is Viper's two castles, saved to map from the old BZ Flag version. My Two castles has the same flag setup as my other maps, and my moat doesn't kill you!!! My only CTF as of this time.

The World Weapon - a map I downloaded that simply demonstrates all the possible world weapons in 2.0. Same flags.

Anytime I run a server it'll be listed as "Planet MoFo: (map decription)" so keep an eye out for me! Drop in and say "F You"

Anyone that wants to be an admin needs to send me an email. The ability to use complete sentences in said email will weigh greatly in any decisions I make.
...This has been a recording.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

What do you mean by "This server is for rent."?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I don't see it on the server list...
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Actually, it's "This space for rent"

Just a joke in and of itself, no deep meaning, really. Although if a corporate sponsor did happen to make an offer, that's where you'd see "Eat At Joe's" or what have you.

I'm not at home, where I'm running the server - but the stats section on the main page here says I got 5 people on. I've been checking it periodically, and I'm averaging 4 to 6 people at a time. Yay!

Any suggestion are welcome. Currently, I'm running the "Passion of the Free For All" - which is a map, with a couple of teleporters on the corners, and three crosses on a platform in the middle. Handful of pyramids. Simple map, really.

But I got the same map with the same flags on standby, ready to switch to Rabbit Hunt Mode. Excuse me - make that "The Passion of the Rabbit Hunt" mode.
{AGUT}DeadMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by {AGUT}DeadMan »

but the stats section on the main page here says I got 5 people on

Stats? How's that work?

Thanks
loyalty above all, save honor
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Stats: http://my.bzflag.org

It's very handy for everything stats-related.
{AGUT}DeadMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by {AGUT}DeadMan »

Outstanding. Thank you.
loyalty above all, save honor
sbgodin
Private First Class
Private First Class

No ads !

Post by sbgodin »

Just a joke in and of itself, no deep meaning, really. Although if a corporate sponsor did happen to make an offer, that's where you'd see "Eat At Joe's" or what have you.
Then, you really intend to put advertissements on a server for a Free Software Game ! It's anoying, it pisses me off. Thinking that someone earns money that way.

I know what I'm talking about thus I've my own server and users. Trust me : don't put ads or anything else that is the equivalent of SPAM.

My 2 cents.[/quote]
Christophe HENRY - France
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Yes.. open source = no ads.

Though it was mainly a joke...
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: No ads !

Post by I_Died_Once »

sbgodin wrote:

Then, you really intend to put advertissements on a server for a Free Software Game ! It's anoying, it pisses me off. Thinking that someone earns money that way.

I know what I'm talking about thus I've my own server and users. Trust me : don't put ads or anything else that is the equivalent of SPAM.

My 2 cents.
Well Private, speak your mind did we? Well sit back. You don't see me logging into the new Two Castles and telling those people that dying in the moat sucks. You don't see me logging into secretplace talking about how they'll ban you for farting too hard, and you don't see me logging into random servers just giving people hell.

If you or no one else is smart enough to capitalize - then that's your own fault. But the bottom line is Planet MoFo is MY server. If Campbell's Soup, Ford vehicles, or L'eggs pantyhose were to approache me with an offer - you sam dippy I'll take it up.

No, its not the case right now - but I advise against getting bent out of shape over what goes on on someone else's server.

If, by any chance someone reading this has a product they'd like to get out there, feel free to email me.

I_Died_Once@hotmail.com
sbgodin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: No Ads !

Post by sbgodin »

If you or no one else is smart enough to capitalize - then that's your own fault. But the bottom line is Planet MoFo is MY server
You're right. In fact, I don't like what I call ads. When there are some on your server, I won't get there, that should be all.

It's not as simple as that. It would be in case you did not show your server in the list. It would be if your server were known only on your website, by your own means. As Free Software guidelines allow, you can make money (fast) with it.

It's not simple because you're server (as mine) is a part of the global list of bzflag server. Our goal should be to _offfer_ the map hosting. I did my server because there were too much people on the map I like. So I took the map (thanks to Mario and Sid) and I'm currently hosting them.

What will happen when one of your customer will come ?
- In the list he will see your server. Fine, nice map. Let's go.
- He may read the advertissement in the banner.
- So he plays.
- Paf ! Each 15 minutes "Eat at Joe's" will appear.

There's no anti-ads as there's for Firefox. Thus, your customer is trapped.
Adding your ads business, you lower the value of the whole bzflag game.

It's your server but it's *our* game. Tim and other develop, you, me and other host the map that other did. Free Software and so on...
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I just hope all the servers don't go to ads. That would be horrible and everything would suck.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

like anyone woudl pay for a text add in a silly tank game, on a server with a stupid name :)
ImageJeffM
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

hey umm Mr. MoFo, ever heard of the Master Banlist. I think you should think about it.
Last edited by Scorch on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

scorch, if you'd read his post, he says he dosnt' use the master ban list. It's a munchkin server, just ignore it.
ImageJeffM
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

that was more of a "your server will end up on it" post than "This is what the masterbanlist is" kinda post.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

well, since servers arn't ON the master ban list, I don't see how that is ever going to be posible. The master ban list is for players, not servers. So far he hasn't realy done anything wrong. Just things many people don't like. Just don't go there and you'll stop fueling his fire.
ImageJeffM
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Scorch, your ignorance and/or arrogance is pathetic. Please do some research before threatening people, especially when you can't directly do anything about it. His server will _not_ end up on the list server banlist unless he does something truly stupid or offensive which directly affects the list server. We do not lightly ban people, and we know how to contact him. I personally think his server is doing a great service to those who want "family-friendly" play by allowing those who don't want it to go somewhere else where they're welcomed...different strokes for different folks and all.

Also, the master banlist (which is not the same as the list server banlist) is only used for known and repetitive cheaters. Idiots, trolls, and whatever other junk the cat drags in are left to individual server owners to ban or deal with however they best see fit (although they will get banned from the boards if they pull their stunts here, which is different).

To clarify: there are really three centrally controlled banlists, and each of them is used for a different kind of offender. AFAIK Knightmare is the only person with the dubious honor of being on all three.

One is the master ban list, which bans clients from all servers which use it. This is used ONLY for cheaters who cheat on multiple servers over a fairly long period of time and people who directly attack BZFlag as a whole (e.g. trying to crack or crash multiple servers). I don't know why I_died_once has disabled it on his server, since he disallows cheating, but it's entirely his choice. AFAIK only Knightmare, DJ28/dirtytroll, and Aenox/Ae` are on this list, although there's one address I don't recognize immediately.

One is the list server ban list, which bans servers from using the list server. This is used ONLY for server ops who directly abuse the list server, whether through putting profanity in their server titles or running loads of bots or sending hacked ping messages or trying to DOS the list server. Only Knightmare and the global-broadcast address are on this list right now (I_died_once was on it temporarily due to miscommunication, which was resolved).

The last is the board's ban list, which bans players from using this board. This is used ONLY for people who repeatedly violate the board rules. This is the only one of these lists which has a significant number of people on it (why can't people follow the rules? good question...). I won't list them, for obvious reasons.

The three banlists are not linked. People who get put on one do not automatically get put on all of them.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Yeah, I was blackballed from listing on the master public server list due to the name of my server. But that's been said and done with now. Should the developers ever need a server to test crap out, need information on a player, or if I can contribute in any way shape or form to the community - I'm an email away. Just allow a lil time cause I do have a job and a life outside the game (not saying that y'all don't, just saying I do)

The "This space for rent" was originally intended as a joke, in, and of itself, people. Get over it. But if I can get help making my car payment 'cause some dolt is retarded enough to shell out money for one line every fifteen minutes - well hell yeah. Now tell me exactly how many times someone has come to you (or any BZ flag server owner) with an advertisement deal. Get over yourselves.

And yes, I'm trying to provide a service here. Too many times I've seen someone say in game "flag pass coming your way" except "pass" gets censored... and you see fifteen people all at once "watch your language" "stop cussing please" and a whole barrage of people personally insulted over a typo. Well I say to hell with that. Leave the "tea and crumbpets" at secretplace. We dine on pizza and beer at Planet MoFo!

And still - I'm not over at your house with a gun to your head forcing you to come play on my server. You should enter every server at your own risk. Even with a hundred admins, filter texts gallore, and anti-stuff mods in effect, you still do not have control over your players. You never know when someone is going to say or do something beyond the norm and reign down all kinds of legal hurt on us all. That is why I run my server like I do. Maybe I'll keep a few of the rough edged players away from all of you tender hearted folk.

And one last policy - nothing, and I mean NOTHING gets changed permanately at Planet MoFo without an official email requesting it.

I might comment more later if the mood strikes me. I got the flu and it's kicking my butt..

Vader
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

JeffM2501 wrote:like anyone woudl pay for a text add in a silly tank game, on a server with a stupid name :)
I was wondering if anyone would ever pick up on that
sbgodin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sbgodin »

I_Died_Once wrote:But if I can get help making my car payment 'cause some dolt is retarded enough to shell out money for one line every fifteen minutes - well hell yeah.
My philosophy is no SPAM at all. In such case, I will not go to a server :
- anoying me with such one line every 15 minutes
- Whom owner thinks I'm silly enough to believe the ad.

I wonder for other players that will be trapped into. I think about my friends to whom I said "bzflag is great.... What ? Yes yes yes : it's a free software, so nobody will treat you as a dumb".

In time, I'll ask for or develop, a sort of adblocker for bzflag. Something which will allow everyone to make a clear choice.
Now tell me exactly how many times someone has come to you (or any BZ flag server owner) with an advertisement deal. Get over yourselves.
For my part, nobody. I believe it's the same for everyone. I think about the future.

And yes, I'm trying to provide a service here.
It's generaly what say advertisers. "service", "innovation", "improvement", "win-win"...

Too many times I've seen someone say in game "flag pass coming ...We dine on pizza and beer at Planet MoFo!
It's another debate, but I think that a server should be maintained correctly for the sake of all. As I saw, generaly, people who curses (too much) are the worst players. Of course, you do what you want as it's your server.

All your no-law statements goes very well with a "few investment server" for money making. Bad coincidence, but iIt stinks a little. I can make a (big) mistake, of course. Each point of view are welcome. Of course, when "Lick my ass" came to play on yours I did not stay longer...
And still - I'm not over at your house with a gun to your head forcing you ...That is why I run my server like I do. Maybe I'll keep a few of the rough edged players away from all of you tender hearted folk.
I do agree with that. It's yours. As you may have guessed, mine is pretty moderated and I trust many persons to help me for. It's a way. Our world is big enough for us.

You just read an english text from a french frog. So, feel free to mail me my language faults :-)
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

I really think people are taking the ad comment way too far. It was a joke and a hypothetical. Unless it's spamming the public listserver, it doesn't affect me anyway. Why don't we just let him run his server and see what happens?

Heck, I may even stop in sometime.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
sbgodin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sbgodin »

Workaphobia wrote:It was a joke and a hypothetical
Wrong! One another server owner already did. One server had a sort of filigran picture on the radar (high blocks) and ads for PC buying.
Unless it's spamming the public listserver, it doesn't affect me anyway. Why don't we just let him run his server and see what happens?
Because of the new players that see ads. It's not the free software I want to show.
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

what happened to the PlanetMoFo server, it's gone now :evil: !
sbgodin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sbgodin »

FerrarisRule wrote:what happened to the PlanetMoFo server, it's gone now :evil: !
Don't look at me like that :cry: I like this map too. It's simple. Powerful weapon. Nice after working the whole day.