hepcat.tybox.net (Overlord 2.0) banning

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
mc hambone
Private
Private

hepcat.tybox.net (Overlord 2.0) banning

Post by mc hambone » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:20 am

Hey guys,
I don't know who the person in charge of hepcat.tybox.net is, but there are no registering/voting priveleges set. Since this seems to be the most popular 2.0 world (although I wish pillbox or gamesunited or ducati was), it would follow that there are a buttload of teamkillers and people who like to express their juvenile language abilities. Likewise, it would make it EXTREMELY imperative that there be some sort of way to allow players to vote these guys off. Is there a good reason not to? There's not always an admin around. Thanks,

MC

brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:58 pm

Post your question at http://hepcat.bzflag.org/forums
That's the official hepcat forum.

toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:24 am

I was just on hepcat. There's a cheater flying around without wings, team killing, "warping" or changing locations from point to point in the sky, and so on. Of course, you can't poll to ban or kick him if you are a registered player. He kept stealing our flag, warping around till he was over the other team's base, then capping it.

Hepcat may have its own forum, but I don't want to have to create an account on every server's forum just to post a general comment.

My opinion: if a server doesn't have a lot of admins or cops that cover most of the playing hours, it ought to at least have polling turned on. And cheaters certainly take all the fun out of playing if you are serious about CTF.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."

SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:18 am

Glad to have your opinion toaster.

The reason this is turned off is because when we upgraded to 2.0, bzfs complained about the polling command line options, so they were simply commented out of the config. I need to go read the man page to figure out what the new command line options are to turn these on is, then set it up.

UPDATE: Just fixed it. For the benefit of other owners converting to 2.0 the old options were:

Code: Select all

-vetoTime 120
-votePercentage 33
-votesRequired 3
-voteTime 120
The format of the new options are:

Code: Select all

-poll vetoTime=120
-poll votePercentage=33
-poll votesRequired=3
-poll voteTime=120
You also have to add the POLLKICK, POLLBAN, POLLSET for the groups you want to have each of those perms (not sure what POLL perm is for?)

toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:32 pm

SilverFox,

Thanks! I think I represent a lot of other players when I say that.

It's been a while since I looked at that section of the code, but I got the impression that the POLL perm was for using /poll, and the other perms were just more granular permissions. ??
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."