Weird error with my server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Weird error with my server

Post by Legolas_ »

I have a problem with my server. It is called Legolas and Goliath's Server with a dynamic ip of 69.237.90.31. The problem is that me and my brother are on two computers using airport. For us to get our server up we must both start servers, on our Mac G5 and our Win Xp. What is weird is that even though many people have joined the server list still says there is no one playing.

Please give my your thoughts.

Also, my group.txt, var.txt, and help.txt files are not loading.

One last thing.Global login doesn't work on my server
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Hmmm, I think we need some more information.

What is airport? (other than the obvious)

Only one of you should have to start a server. I'm not sure how do do it on a mac, but in windoze (caution, it's been a while since I've used windows), you open a command prompt from: Start --> Accessories --> DOS prompt

then:

\Program Files\bzflag(version number)\bzfs.exe (some server arguments)

To do a global login, you need the following commands either on the command line or in a conf file:

-publicaddr 69.237.90.31:5154
-advertise (some groups you want to advertise your server to)

If you're on a local network, (ie. both behind the same router) you'll need to put the computers local address in the server line. Usually, for small home networks, the number is something like:

192.168.something.something

To let outsiders in to your server, you need to make a firewall rule to let them in (you ARE using a firewall, right? especially on windoze) If you're behind a router (usually the case with a broadband connection) you'll need to forward the port that your server is active on. (default is 5154) Check out your router's owners' manual to figure this out. Note that you're forwarding a port from the router to your computer's local ip address.

Also: keep in mind that if you have a dynamic ip, it can change without warning. Have a look at dyndns.com or some other free service that assigns an "alias" to your ip number that is easier for people to remember.

Have a look at bzflag.org/wiki for some information on running a server.

Good luck.[/u]
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Knights Who Say Ni »

If i was you on windows i would use a batch file to start a server
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

What I do is make a shortcut and put it on my desktop, and call a remote CONF file.