What kind of server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
EvilChickenNugget
Private First Class
Private First Class

What kind of server

Post by EvilChickenNugget »

I am considering starting my own bzFlag server. I'd like to know what kind of connection/machine the most popular servers run off of. Namely servers like ducati, turkey.moongroup.com, and hashmark.net.

Are they hosted off of a private machine at your residence or off of a paid webserver? Will a regular web hosting machine work or do you have to rent a game server (expensive)?

What kind of monthly bandwidth do you go through? Would 8 Gb monthly do?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this. I know Smooth hosts his server off his home cable connection, but with more than 4 players it gets laggy really quickly.

If anyone can give me some info it would be greatly appreciated.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

Ducati is an old P-75 with 40 MB or RAM. It is connected via a 10Mbit/s ethernet interface to the University network. The University itself has a 34Mbit/s link to the outside world. Visit http://www.home.unix-ag.org/thilo/bzflag/ducati/ for some real network utilization data for ducati (old date, but config hasn't changed).

In general, you need a fast upstream because the amount of outgoing data will be approximately n times higher than the incoming traffic, where n is the number of active players on the server.
ski
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ski »

at least DSL. You could do it with dial up but it would have to only have 2 players using maybe 2 shot format... :|
Rest In Peace Vivek
1986-2005 :(

------------------------------
Member of DUB

Visit: Image
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

I hosted a server for a short period of time on a 1.5 Mbit down / 128 Kbit up connection. It was, at maximum (and then BIG lag developed), able to handle about 6 players.

Like Chestal said, upstream bandwidth is more important than downstream. If you had a 512Kbit upstream connection, you'd probably be fine with 10-15 players, I would wager.

Peace
Fiber
widowmaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by widowmaker »

Just make sure that you have large enough bandwidth for the number of players/observers your server is setup for.
Goto:
http://www.shellshock.dutchrai.com/refe ... quirements
for more info.
Nidhoggr
General Bandwidth
General Bandwidth

bandwidth, etc.

Post by Nidhoggr »

I am running secretplace.us. You can see the number of people/amount of bandwidth used at my mrtg page at mrtg.tiphareth.net. 1.2 mbps is about the peak usage. The box is on 100mpbs to the backbone, so it's wide open, so you should see an accurate usage.

-Cameron (Nidhoggr)
kernel panic

Re: What kind of server

Post by kernel panic »

EvilChickenNugget wrote:I am considering starting my own bzFlag server. I'd like to know what kind of connection/machine the most popular servers run off of. Namely servers like ducati, turkey.moongroup.com, and hashmark.net.

Are they hosted off of a private machine at your residence or off of a paid webserver? Will a regular web hosting machine work or do you have to rent a game server (expensive)?

What kind of monthly bandwidth do you go through? Would 8 Gb monthly do?

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this. I know Smooth hosts his server off his home cable connection, but with more than 4 players it gets laggy really quickly.

If anyone can give me some info it would be greatly appreciated.

[csm@turkey csm]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 5
model name : Pentium II (Deschutes)
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 300.687
cache size : 512 KB

[csm@turkey csm]$ cat /proc/meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 63221760 62541824 679936 0 34529280 20090880
Swap: 134795264 2056192 132739072

NB. bzflag was running when this meminfo was captured.

Turkey's connection is 5xT1's IOW a frac DS3 bundle.

Post by Guest »

a 300MHz p2, really....would have thought something a little more powerful....guess the network connections help out in that respect.
EvilChickenNugget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EvilChickenNugget »

I've been running my server off and on now for a few weeks and it seems to run ok with 3-4 people, can't take much more than that though due to the fact I only have a 384kb/s upload rate.

I'm going to be getting a server running on a much higher bandwidth connection soon, so hopefully I won't have to strain my cable any longer ;)

Thanks for all the info guys.
kernel panic

Post by kernel panic »

Bagheera wrote:a 300MHz p2, really....would have thought something a little more powerful....guess the network connections help out in that respect.
If I asked it to do other work then I would probably need something more but bzflag is all it does...