Admin Functions without BZ client?

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
EvilChickenNugget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Admin Functions without BZ client?

Post by EvilChickenNugget »

I'm probably wasting my time, but I'm just wondering if there is any known way to perform admin functions on a server, without having the regular bzflag client.

Right now I'm at work, and can't load up bzflag, but I'd like to be able to keep an eye on my server (as I'm the only admin at the moment) so I can pop in and check if anyone is complaining about cheaters/laggers.

I'd love it if I could just telnet/ssh to the port my server is running off of. But I'm positive it isn't that simple.

Thanks
Evil Chicken Nugget
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

No there is not. to admin you need to login, and presently only bzflag clients log in. In thery somone could make a perl script or something that loged in and sent text commands. but I don't think anyone has.
ImageJeffM
michaelh20
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by michaelh20 »

sounds like an interesting little programming possibility :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

sure, it's just taking the bzbot code a bit further, and have it send a login. then have it just ignore positional updates and stuff.
ImageJeffM
learner
General
General

Re: Admin Functions without BZ client?

Post by learner »

EvilChickenNugget wrote:I'm probably wasting my time, but I'm just wondering if there is any known way to perform admin functions on a server, without having the regular bzflag client.

Right now I'm at work, and can't load up bzflag, but I'd like to be able to keep an eye on my server (as I'm the only admin at the moment) so I can pop in and check if anyone is complaining about cheaters/laggers.

I'd love it if I could just telnet/ssh to the port my server is running off of. But I'm positive it isn't that simple.

Thanks
Evil Chicken Nugget
Actually, now there is a way. There's a patch/tarball in the patches section on sourceforge called bzadmin. It's a curses-based (i.e. text-based) way for you to admin your server, chat with users, and kick/ban users. It automatically logs you in as an observer. Pretty slick start.

Cheers!
EvilChickenNugget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EvilChickenNugget »

GREAT! That is just what I was looking for.

Is it only for linux environments, or will it work on Win32? I only ask because my primary use for the program would be from my work PC and I don't have access to a linux environment there.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Generally curses stuff is UNIX-only...

One way that could work for you is to set up OpenSSH on your BZFlag server and get an SSH client for windows (like PuTTY). Then just connect to your linux box with it and run bzadmin remotely. This may not work if your place of work has a firewall that doesn't allow SSH through, but it is possible to change the port it connects on, if you know which ports are allowed.
learner
General
General

bzadmin for windows

Post by learner »

It's pretty simple to port a curses app to use a similar library on Windows. If I were so inclined, it would take but a little bit of effort. I'm not that inclined, though.

I'd rather not help with that platform. Sorry.

If someone is interested in doing this, let me know and I can give you some starting reference.

Cheers!