solarflare, new address

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

solarflare, new address

Post by Winny »

because alex135 is now hosting solarflare, it has a new address

the ip is:

thanks to alex for hosting this once again

solarflare now has moe than 10 flags ( 30 now I think)
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Matt? »

why did it useto have only 10 flag's
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Knights Who Say Ni »

because thats all a windows server can handle for some strange reason...
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Matt? »

The Knights Who Say Ni wrote:because thats all a windows server can handle for some strange reason...

well i had a server running on windows xp pro and it had well over 10 flags. is it because it was on windows xp pro?
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

There is a weird bug with connection limits. Despite MS not having any limit on HTTP-type connections, when you have more than ten flags, it mistakes bzflag connections for the type of p2p connections it does limit (only lan connections are limited by xp, it shouldn't affect internet ones). Because of this, with more than ten flags, XP home users are limited to 5 users, Pro can do ten.

There is a proven relationship between these two things, check all related threads. And no it doesn't make any sense at all.

Also it has nothing to do with the bug Jeff mentioned in one thread, that's SP2 specific, this occurs on both SP2 and SP1.
Matt?
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Matt? »

i have a strong opinion about that that id like to express now but it may get mt in trouble so ill keep it 2 myself. i like windows xp b/c of its ease of use and you can be a COMPLETE idion and stll have some knowledge to run it successfully. but linux has some GREAT advantages like everything is free ect ect. oops off topic :)

but back to it. does anyone know how many players windows media center edition can hold?

btw xp i am glad ur server is still being hosted!
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

Matt? wrote:you can be a COMPLETE idion and stll have some knowledge to run it successfully.
I agree with you, both OSes have their advantages, but actually I personally find it more difficult to manage my XP System. I constantly have to make sure there are no stray processes running, keep my anti-spyware programs up to date, keep everything else on my system up to date, make sure no nasty apps activated stuff on startup, and somehow know every program's quirks on what can crash it or slow it down and what can't. I'm not trying to start a flame war, this is just the experience I've had. (BTW, I've never had a virus and currently have little if any spyware on my machine, but in order to keep my XP system fast, this is what I have to do. By the way it runs really fast and takes less memory than my Linux. Plus it only has about 13 processes running at full load)

Anyway, back on topic, the bug mentioned MAY be fixed in b4 according to this thread: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6344