Server Won't Keep up

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

There may be a flags bug in Windows, but that's not what's keeping your players from connecting. There is a connection limit set in WIndows that only allowed a certain number of people to be connected to your computer at one time. There are ways to edit this, and I have tried some, but none of them appear to work.

So there is no real fix to your problem, just that Windows wasn't designed as a server OS:)
person1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by person1 »

windows was designed to frustrate those of us who try to use it for something other than wordproccessing or internet sefering lol!

Anyway I have 9 flags and all 20 can join if i have more than 5 flag types noone can join so I think it does have something to do with Windows. Since they told me how to recompile it I will. Then run my server on LINUX!

The OS for people with brains. lol.

RPG: question for u. If I use the masterbot plugin everyone is instatly disconnected. And if I start the server with it then noone can connect, not even me. Why is this?

And is there are version for Linux so when I get it up I can use MasterBot on Linux?
I not just any person, I am person1
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

windows XP has conection limits, it is not a good server OS. Linux is a beter server OS. connection limits in the OS will cause your game to have problems when more then a few users connect.

Windows XP is a home/workstation OS. it was never meant to host things. I can and will have limitations. It is not a "bug" but simply a limitation of the software.

I REALY wish winXP would stop telling people that's it's just a "windows server bug" when it isn't.
ImageJeffM
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

JeffM2501 wrote:I can and will have limitations.
where all not perfect

JeffM2501 wrote:I REALY wish winXP would stop telling people that's it's just a "windows server bug" when it isn't.

im not saying its a bug, im saying, windows can't seem to have more than 10 flags. I never implied, or mant to imply that it was a bug.
person1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by person1 »

JeffM2501: i understand what you are saying about WINDOWS XP (I have PRO). All i am saying is that you can get around whatever the limitation is caused by, by simply taking out most of the flags, not sure if this is an accident or what, just saying that it works.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

person1
MasterBot currently compiles only on Windows. We (the MB team) are working hard at making it cross-platform, but right now RPG needs to find the code that made it Windows-only in the first place. :|

When it fully works on other platforms there will be a big announcement, guaranteed. ;)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
person1
Private First Class
Private First Class

ok

Post by person1 »

ok, so is there some other loger built in to BZFlag that I think I have heard of, that I could use on Linux?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: ok

Post by A Meteorite »

person1 wrote:ok, so is there some other loger built in to BZFlag that I think I have heard of, that I could use on Linux?
Actually it's a Linux built-in thing, AFAIK. It's not as pretty as MasterBot, but just add this to the end of the BZFS command (after all options):

Code: Select all

> /path/to/desired/log
If you use a double ">" (like ">> /path/to/desired/log") it'll add everything to the end of the file. With a single ">" it'll overwrite the contents of the file.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

person1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by person1 »

A Meteorite:

export CXXFLAGS=-O1
didn't work.

I recompiled and now I can't even tk. Before I could only hit teamates, now only myself.

I ran the command first before I did anything, then I ran

./autogen.sh
./configure [options]
make
make install
person1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by person1 »

When I run a server locally on Linux, with or without map files or config it gives me the following error when I try to connect. Is this related to 64bit processor? If so what can I do to get it working properly. I am running SUSE Linux 10.0 for 64bit.

error:

Error unpacking world database. Join canceled
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

person1 wrote:A Meteorite:

export CXXFLAGS=-O1
didn't work.

I recompiled and now I can't even tk. Before I could only hit teamates, now only myself.

I ran the command first before I did anything, then I ran

./autogen.sh
./configure [options]
make
make install
Err... well, that optimization level is supposed to fix that problem. Are you using the Bash shell?

I don't know what the Error unpacking world database thing is about. (I just thought that it being 64-bit could of been the problem, users have reported trouble on 64-bit CPUs and since everything else was normal I figured it must be that)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

person1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by person1 »

do i add the 'export CXXFLAGS=-O1 to the end of a command or run it before them?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

person1 wrote:do i add the 'export CXXFLAGS=-O1 to the end of a command or run it before them?
Before.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

cymon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cymon »

Optomization is when the compiler will try and consolidate the assembler code before compiling it. It usually makes it faster, but you risk getting a bug in the binary.