World Weapon test @ Planet MoFo - seeking feedback

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

World Weapon test @ Planet MoFo - seeking feedback

Post by I_Died_Once »

Late last night, a new we enabled a new addition to Planet MoFo - The Passion of the Free For All. This is a test, it has not been decided if we will keep it long term or not. Now, I know any change is going to miff some players. so we want to ehar from you.

After each kill, a world weapon GM is fired straight upward from one of the three crosses on the center cake. The GM locks on to the person that made the kill, and I want to say it MIGHT hit %50 of the time. (thats my at the time guess-timate)

If you keep moving, you should be straight. If you have ST, the missile goes striaght up, as it can't lock on you. Now, my personal favorite camping spot on top of the corner roofs is now RETARDEDLY vulnerable (I'm sure some of you are cheering in your seats to learn that) so.. it adds a nice extra dimension to the game. The tunnels are a safe spot - from the world weapon (other players can still get you in other, more conventional ways)

So, we're still testing it. We might make it to where the server can have the plugin loaded for ten or fifteen minutes at a time automatically via the Gimp Machine of Death & Despair. We can load and unload the plugin at will - this is all in a testing phase, subject to removal, change, amping it up, toning it down - all that.

This was all made possible by an addition to the API and sebsequent plugin by mmarshall - major props to him.

We really, really want to hear what the players think. Give up shout out, express your displeasure, ideas as how to fine tune it to make it better - let us know about it by responding to this thread and sounding off.

Much love, hope to hear from y'all

- Darth Vader
...This has been a recording.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

and one last thing - this addition is only available at the Passion of the Free For All. You will not find this mod at any other Planet MoFo servers as on now. Our CTF, Rabbit Hunt, HTF, and others servers remain unaffected at this time. This is a mod you will (at present time) find only at The Passion of the FFA, and maybe mmarshall's (test?) server.

So, play elsewhere goes unaffected until further notice.
Last edited by I_Died_Once on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

I_Died_Once wrote:(I'm sure some of you are cheering in your seats to learn that)

You bet!!

Sounds like a great addition :)
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

that sound's sweet
io
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by io »

sounds nice ... i tested it yesterday is good
Marzipan

Why be normal when you can be yourself?

We dance because we can not fly

Legalize it!

I created a map, i just can't remeber because i were high.

bzflag.norang.ca
Openleague
Linuxratings
Soccer-Tournament
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

It is great. Though I must really stress that _gmTurnAngle be set to at least 1. I'd say 1.2 works perfectly.
Any less than 1 and it only hits total retards who don't know how to move their tank yet.
I didn't get hit by it for a full 20 minutes when it was set at 0.75 - and I didn't make a single dodge manoeuvre. I just ignored it and it didn't get me.

Set at 1.2, you can't ignore it, but if you just stay at right angles to the missile, it's still easy to dodge. Thats a great balance imho, you get hit if your careless, but not if you just remember it. :)

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

There is one question with this: Does setting the _gm* variables for the WW completely screw over the GM flag, for either the shooter or shootee?
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

I would think the easiest thing would be to simply use some trig to fire the world weapon AT the target, instead of straight up. Then, normal turn angle would work, right?
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

I agree with cbg.. the gm needs to be smarter/quicker
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

I tried it, and have to say, I didn't like the idea. (This is a little off-topic as we're discussing feature feedback on an announcement forum)...

As people above have just said, it is almost harmless to experienced players, and deadly to inexperienced ones... And I am pretty much totally opposed to that premise.

I think that anything that handicaps the game against less experienced players is a bad idea. This game already has a learning curve that heavily favors the experienced player and this only widens the gap.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

This is true, Sky King. I must admit, you're right,

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

Why not make _gmTurnAngle "killer dependent"? Someone with a higher kill ration gets a value nearer to 1.2, someone (like me) with a negative value ;) get a value nearer to 0.75
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there is no way currently to apply difrent vars on a per shot basis
ImageJeffM
Tropican8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tropican8 »

JeffM2501 wrote:there is no way currently to apply difrent vars on a per shot basis
The problem's really a per-score basis. The crontab being used can (I'm sure) do a /set in between every shot, it just can't read the player's score.

Also that would really mess up GM as a super flag.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

No... the cron (A.K.A. Gimp Machine of Death & Despair) can only do pre-defined tasks, on a schedule. It can /set... but only if you plan it by the hour, minute, day, month.... its not interactive like that.

UPDATE: The World Weapon GM has been unloaded, and will not be a permanant fixture at The Passion of the Free For All. However, it is something that we CAN load and unload at will... so maybe, just maybe, once in a while, we just might load it up for gets and shiggles.

We're going to see if we can't get it modded so that it fires at you once you go on a rampage, again on a killing spree, and again when you become unstoppable. If/when that happen, I'll bump this thread with that info.

Much love, and lots of thanks to everyone for helping us test it out.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

It could shoot one Gm for a rampage, two for a killing spree and three when you're unstoppable.