some ideas about some new servers ojn quol.bzflag.org...

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Quol
Private First Class
Private First Class

some ideas about some new servers ojn quol.bzflag.org...

Post by Quol »

I was thinking about having 2 new servers...

1 for anyone who wants to test out maps...they could give me a message and I would upload there map - maybe even could automate this with some PHP script and authentication for the ones who would use this often enough...

I thought that this may be a good idea for the map makers who want a decent place to check out maps...any comments??

the other one was an idea about another kind of CTF - maybe all high speed CTF with a different kind of MAP?? or maybe you guys have some more CTF ideas - an alternative to the ducati style?

Any comments?
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

as a map maker(and non-server owner), I like the idea. I guess there could be a couple issues.

1. lenght of time map is played(a day, a week) If you get a flood of maps, there could be a little grumbling. However, ducati(?) had a rotating server. It ran a different map every 30/60 minutes or so. It was nice, but as a map maker, you were never sure when your map would be running. This hampered the feedback.
2. server settings, gravity, flags, ctf.
3. time of day the map is run. a british map maker may want to run their map during different hours then say a japanese map maker. would be interesting to see what are the peak play times for each timezone around the world.

thats about it. good idea.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Quol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quol »

I was thinking about posting a schedule of which maps would be played when and for how long. This way map owners could schedule when they wanted to play - get people together and test it all out etc...

When submitting the maps, the map owner would be responsible to tell me what config to run it with (which flags, with rico/jumping/flag on buildings etc..) should be used.

maybe I can serv a page that allows the person to upload a map, and choose the schedule and config which posts the info to me and then all I need to do is validate the the schedule is OK and run it at that time etc..

IT also depends on how many maps I get and how much time I can afford to spend on this...

I was thinking about running them for at least a couple of days to a week - I think the 60 minute rotating server is not the best idea for map makers as nobody really knows which map is shown when etc... which is why I thought of this...

Thanks for the feedback - I will continue thinking about it and let you all know if/when I get something going...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jzaun had a similar thing at one time. I think it was on bzflag.jzaun.com or something... not sure though. You could access his website and it would have a listing that told which map would come up next (on his rotating server). And then.. stats.bzflag.org came around.. and you simply posted your map and it ran randomly.
I think the idea of a scheduled (long) rotation is a really good one. :)
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

I love your Idea Quol :)
With a scheduled (long) rotation the tanks can test better the maps.
You can serve a page like a calendar where the map maker can insert the file with all specs.
In this way the MM can decide which week her/his map will be loaded on the server.And you can have time too
Only the MM is allowed to change or delete her/his maps file and configuration and the Boss of the server.
BTW my idea cost , because you are a friends, about 500 gallons of good beer
Quol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Quol »

Since I don't drink beer SGI - I am not a good judge of that - I think the best beer is kool-aid - is that right?

anyways - I want to publically thank SGI for helping out with the ideas - he was the one who brought up a "fixed schedule", and the natural conclusion to that is a pulbic calendar - so thanks SGI....

As for when I will get this up and running - no clue - I will keep you posted..
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Only the MM is allowed to change or delete her/his maps file and configuration and the Boss of the server.
Bad idea......no change/delete allowed